ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Front FCA + B & Struts

I just redid my front suspension, so seems everything is tighten under normal ride height. w/o ramps, I can't really reach under.

So I plan to use ramps for the front. Should I have the back level up. Ill have to use some wood planks for that if I do.
      07-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
lelandr
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E30M3, E90330i, Z3MC

Note that, unlike the earlier cars, the TIS doesn't specify that the front be tightened under load.

The outer control arm ball joints were easily accessible with a crow's foot. For the inner joints, BMW finally figured out that you have to be able to tighten these from above. The left joint was very easy to torque by undoing the bolts for the power steering reservoir. The right side has a hole through the motor mount arm that you can run a 3/8" extension. I tried with a wobble extension, but in the end, I had a 21mm socket then a u-joint then a long wobble extension. It is still some work to make sure that you are tightening the fastener and not just binding the joints, but it will go.

HTH.
Appreciate 0