ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #23
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC BSM E92 335xDrive BSM

no more reps

Spec is off my recommended list...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #24
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I just had my 2.5 track day brand new sach performance clutch plate let go. Manufacturer defect.. not happy Jan!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Tilton twin disc

Just started using this clutch kit from Tilton. Twin disc semi metallic. About 4 track days. So far no complaints.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Tilton-T...eel-Kit_2.html
Appreciate 2
Vanne1590.00
      08-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #26
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

That would be THE PERFECT option if you are running a 5 speed box, do these come for the OEM 6 speeder in ours
Michael?

edit:!!! Here is the one for our OEM box.. bloody hell.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Twin-Dis...-Flywheel.html

ill add a few pics of my clutch disc..
      08-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #27
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
That would be THE PERFECT option if you are running a 5 speed box, do these come for the OEM 6 speeder in ours
Michael?

edit:!!! Here is the one for our OEM box.. bloody hell.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Twin-Dis...-Flywheel.html

ill add a few pics of my clutch disc..
Ugh

I haven't tracked it yet, but the ClutchMasters kit (their highest-spec single-plate organic clutch + pressure plate + lightweight aluminum flywheel) I used for my build fit perfectly and has been up to 8kRPM a bunch of times on the dyno without trying to shake the car to pieces or eject parts through the bellhousing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #28
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Which parts are in that kit Matt?

I just got Kudo's from Turner, Matt is replacing my clutch disc and shipping for free. Thank the heavens. Thanks Turner's. <---- bloody good store that, never any dramas. A+

Also of note is that LUK doesn't make the 21511223582 throwout bearing anymore.. (I wonder if it's because they had so many issues?)
I went with a new Sachs one for 70 bucks. Also bought a new pilot bearing and new metal ECS pivot.

Edit, this was the post I was gonna write...

Clutch plate that has been in the car for fucking 3 track days decides to let go. That's racing I guess.

Looks like a manufacturer defect.. will see what Turner says.

Rivits loose/gone/missing. Huge tear in the sinterbase

Last edited by Vanne; 08-28-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #29
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
To the people having trouble, just wondering, are you installing yourself or paying a shop? If you're paying a shop, how much does it run you every time you swap the clutch?

Also I have a Z4M with a JB racing aluminum flywheel and a south bend HD dxd clutch for SMF. it rattles at 1800rpm when in 3rd gear on accel, and in 4th gear at a lower rpm. I think it might be a resonance between the clutch hub springs and the torque pulses causing the clutch hub springs to bottom out? But different from your problem w the sachs clutch and pressure plate. I don't have the rattle on decel. or when out of gear. If the sound happens when you're out of gear then it must be the flywheel right?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #30
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

If installed correctly, it only rattles at idle in neural. Rattle at 1800 rpm in gear would worry me a little. Any rattle in gear would worry me, regardless of rpm. I can swap the clutch myself, but depending on time constraints, I have my shop do it most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #31
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
The rattle is concerning. I do a decent job of avoiding the rattle by downshifting. If I knew the root cause I would fix it, but it seems like it would be difficult to diagnose/fix. It's either that I need a clutch with stiffer clutch springs, or there's something loose in my transmission. I don't know for sure, I don't know how I'd even figure it out. If you have suggestions, they'd be much appreciated! In the mean time I might reach out to south bend clutch to see if they have hints.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #32
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Update, the rattle is gone. Must've tweaked a heat shield while poking around in the engine bay. I think I incorrectly attributed it to the flywheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #33
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Perfect
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #34
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Update: I thought the rattle was gone but i think my exhaust was just masking it. I believe it to be the tranny vibrating similar to how it does at idle.

Additionally I noticed the vibration around 5k rpm especially on decel that some others have reported. I didn't notice it before because I don't often get up into those rpms.

Well, I had plenty of time so I decided to do a clutch/flywheel job on the floor to revert the car back to stock flywheel and clutch. Along the way I noted that the lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch were in perfectly fine condition, which was a bit disappointing. Now I've got my OEM luk dual mass flywheel, luk clutch/pressure plate, and wow what a difference.

The good:
1. Finally, I'm not afraid of low RPM. I can put my foot down at 1.5k RPM and not flinch! I don't have to downshift to 2nd when making a slow turn, I can keep it in 3rd. so great for street driving.
2. No vibration at any RPM. The 5k RPM rattle is gone.
3. While at a stop light i can rev the car 1-2k rpm to hear a nice exhaust growl, and there's no accompanying diesel/cement mixer sound (lightweight flywheel people will know what I'm talking about).
4. I really enjoy having that low-end torque from 1-3k RPM for street driving. It's not that the lightweight flywheel caused the car to lose torque, but the vibration/rattling made me avoid pushing the accelerator past a certain extent at those RPMs.

The bad:
1. I miss the instant throttle blips I could do before to downshift. Now it requires a little more time to blip the throttle and downshift. But i'm glad I had the experience of quick shifting with the lightweight flywheel.
2. Previously part of the car's character was that it always wanted you to accelerate and decelerate. Now the car is much more comfortable coasting. This is both good and bad.
3. Clutch engagement is not as crisp. I liked the previous grabby clutch. You knew exactly when it was engaged and disengaged. The stock clutch is very forgiving and it comes on much more gradually. The throw of the clutch pedal is much longer now as the bit point is closer to the floor.

For my use case (all street driving) stock makes more sense. The low-end drive-ability is not worth losing. Yeah I've lost some excitement but at least I got to experience what it was like for a bit. Having a heavy DMF is not as bad as I thought it would be, and I'm very happy to have it.

The 5k rpm vibration with the lightweight flywheel was also very concerning. If I were tracking the car, I would not feel comfortable staying at that RPM for long. No one seems to know for sure what causes it on the forums. Some e46 m3 people report having it, others like Vanne have no issues. Beats me.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      07-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Stories like this make me glad I went with stock spec when I replaced my clutch and flywheel. The quick rev sounds enticing but seems to come with a lot of baggage on our S54's.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:02 AM   #36
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

It sure is a mixed bag, to say I had zero issues would be a huge lie. Turners kit came to me with completely mis-matched part numbers, and like the dumbass that I am, I never checked them until my shop called me and told me the stuff didn't fit.

Checked em with turners part numbers, hang on, kit part numbers are correct..

Turns out that the kit matched the Z3m pressure plate to our car.. what a load of shit, as that part is out by .5 of a mill or even a bit less. the correct pressure plate for the HD kit is the e46 M3 pressure plate.

Who knew right..

anyways, after contacting Turners about it, I am not sure they have changed their kit, so if you have the HD clutch kit from them id be checking part numbers for sure.. It wasn't until I got the guy from JBracing to contact Turner, that they send me the correct pressure plate.

Then after it all got put together, on my 2nd open track out , blew the clutch plate.. production defect.. replaced for free by the manufacturer.. but had to drop the clutch and re-install...

so yeah to say hassle free would be a huge lie.. lol...

the throwout bearing that came with Turners kit was a piece of shit too..

I wouldn't recommend the HD kit, (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-8...-flywheel-kit/) id go for something from Tilton.

edit.. I just checked turners site for the parts list.. Jesus, still fucked it up. They have the z3m flywheel listed, but its the correct Z4m part (they listed it as a z3m flywheel, but its JB's z4m part) and then they have matched that up with all the Z3M parts... lol.. thats not gonna work. 520-180-240 is the Z4m flywheel part number.. the clutch plate listed will fit, but the pressure plate won't.. nice...