ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Garage List
Track Weekend 2020

Finally was able to attend a track weekend at Putnam Park Road Course over the past two days. Planned on getting several weekends in this year, but 'Rona ruined that... So instead, I used most of the year to make a variety of improvements to my car, and I'm thankful to have tested them out on the track.

Overall the weekend was a great success and a hell of a lot of fun. Weather was a bit cool each morning at around 45 degrees, but warmed up to a comfy low 60s by the second sessions, which proved to be excellent for driving.

I spent most of the weekend focused on fine tuning my line and trying out some different turn-in points, and managed to knock more than 5 seconds off of my previous best lap time by the final session yesterday! Ended with a 1:25.71 which is by no means flying, but I'm happy with the improvement. Now that I've found the line that works well for me, on my next time out I'll focus on just trying to brake later/less and carry more speed with me through the turns.

Some impressions regarding the upgrades I've done since my last track session:

Power Mods - The increased hp/tq was nice, especially when getting back on throttle after slower turns (especially #5 and #8) and when getting point-bys. My top speeds in the main straight increased by an average of 6 mph, which while enjoyable, probably didn't contribute overly much the reduction in lap times compared to some other factors.

Suspension - The car feels much more balanced and planted with being lowered on coilovers, and much more predictable throughout the higher g-force turns.

Braking - Stainless-steel brake lines combined with PFC08 pads made for a VASTLY improved braking experience; it took some getting used to the increased braking force, but once I adapted to it I fell in love with how precisely they allowed me to modulate and control braking force, to the point where I was able to safely introduce trail-braking into my routine in certain turns. Plus being able to just absolutely stand on the pedal and bring the car to what feels like an immediate stop when necessary was very nice. Better brake setup definitely allowed me to feel more comfortable increasing the speed that I brought into many turns.

Alignment - I didn't go for a purely track-oriented setup, since this is my daily and I'm not trying to destroy my tires on the street, but compared to the stock alignment specs, it was a world of improvement. Camber Front/Rear -2.7/-1.8 and Total Toe In Front/Rear -1/64" / -1/32" made the car far more compliant with significantly reduced understeer in all but the most demanding turns.

Tires: Switched from PSS to PS4S and they performed very well for my purposes. They warmed up quickly enough and once at track temp they provided a very confidence-inspiring amount of grip. They were rather noisy, but I enjoy a tire that talks to me to let me know where things stand. Started with cold pressures of 31 square, which would usually end up around 37 front/36 rear hot. Until I get to the point where my lap times are being limited by my tires, I'll keep running with these.

So, for those of you who have bothered to read this far, here's the reward! Quick little video of my favorite traffic-free lap from the final session.

Appreciate 3
kaybat125.50
pyshin110.50
wdb4673.00
      10-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Glad you were able to get out on track for the day! Rona has def made it hard to do car stuff this year.

I would suggest trying Bridgestone RE71 tire... much more grip then the PS4S and they last longer on the track. I am running PSS the 991 Carrera S and any kind of track work they over heat quickly. Once they over heat they start shedding tread extra fast.

Interested in your alignment specs... why the toe in on the front axle? Our alignment specs are close the same besides that.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Glad you were able to get out on track for the day! Rona has def made it hard to do car stuff this year.

I would suggest trying Bridgestone RE71 tire... much more grip then the PS4S and they last longer on the track. I am running PSS the 991 Carrera S and any kind of track work they over heat quickly. Once they over heat they start shedding tread extra fast.

Interested in your alignment specs... why the toe in on the front axle? Our alignment specs are close the same besides that.
By the time I wear through this set of PS4S I'll probably be looking to get some dedicated track tires, but it'll be a while since I don't drive nearly as much as I used to; only put 2,000 miles on them since I had them installed in April, and that's including this past weekend.

I have that verrrry slight toe in for the front because this is my daily driver, but I'm considering changing to 0 or verrrry slight toe out when I get my next alignment done.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Absolutely loved reading this. Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great time.
Nice driving and nice track too
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Absolutely loved reading this. Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a great time.
Nice driving and nice track too
Thank you! It's definitely a pretty solid course; not overly fast, but presents some unique challenges. Plus it's nearly completely surrounded by flat grass, so if you happen to push it too hard and go off track, you just slide through the grass.

Next year I'm planning on getting to Putnam at least two times, and hopefully Mid-Ohio once. Fingers crossed things stay "normal" next year...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion_2 View Post
Braking - Stainless-steel brake lines combined with PFC08 pads made for a VASTLY improved braking experience; it took some getting used to the increased braking force, but once I adapted to it I fell in love with how precisely they allowed me to modulate and control braking force, to the point where I was able to safely introduce trail-braking into my routine in certain turns.
Glad to hear the PFC08s are getting proper usage! Every track outing usually wraps up with me saying "this car is such a BEAST".

Should have my track project finished next spring and plan to attend an event or two with the Illinois chapter BMWCCA.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
No_Dominion_2
AKA No_Dominion
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Glad to hear the PFC08s are getting proper usage! Every track outing usually wraps up with me saying "this car is such a BEAST".

Should have my track project finished next spring and plan to attend an event or two with the Illinois chapter BMWCCA.
I was definitely impressed with them, plan on leaving them on the car year round, haha. Thanks again for selling them at such a reasonable price.

Looking forward to seeing your project wrapped up and on the track! I'll check out when Windy City is going to be at Putnam and try to get out there one of those weekends.
Appreciate 0