ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
DarKWing
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Transmission Replaced on 2007 3.0si 6MT

I bought my 3.0si coupe at about 12,000 miles. It was a dealer service loaner, so I expected some issues. When I first drove it, I noticed a bit of a clunk shifting out of first gear. I chalked this up to either the CDV or just my driving, and soon learned to shift by holding the RPMs higher when engaging on the upshift, eliminating the clunk. It didn't bother me too much, and I wasn't in a hurry to have it looked at considering the amount of warranty remaining.

In the course of putting about 6,000 miles on the car, I experienced a few more shifting issues: a couple of times, during stop-and-go crawling in traffic jams, I had a very hard time finding first gear. I had to shift into second, maybe third, playing around with it a bit before first would finally engage. This was bothersome, as it could be a safety issue to not be able to move while traffic ahead of me is pulling away.

Then I found a problem with third gear: intermittently, and always during fast upshifts, third gear would just refuse to engage, actually grinding and knocking the shifter out of my hand in a couple of instances.

This combination of quirks led me to ask a transmission expert (shameless plug for Robert at Gearbox Transmission in Richmond, VA) for his opinion, and he confirmed that Z4s have had third-gear issues, although this was the first time he'd heard of first-gear problems.

A few days later, armed with this information, I took the car to BMW of Fairfax and described the issues. They only had the car for about 20 minutes before the service advisor came out and put me in a loaner car, saying they were opening a PUMA case and likely replacing the transmission.

This was on 8/20/09. The new transmission takes 7 business days to ship from Germany, but it should arrive on Monday 9/31 and hopefully I'll be picking the car up on Tuesday.

The moral of this story: If your Z4's manual transmission feels funny, it's not just the CDV and it's probably not you, assuming you know how to drive a manual. Take the car to the dealer ASAP, and make sure you describe EVERY symptom. There is apparently a manufacturing or design defect with certain transmissions in these cars, and BMW seems to recognize this, based on the expediency with which my issue was addressed.

DarKWing

Last edited by DarKWing; 08-30-2009 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: redundant words
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
First time I have heard of 3rd gear problems in a zed... I have heard a lot of people having trouble finding first or second though. Sure that guy knew what a z4 was?

Nice job on the warranty work though, I am surprised they didn't fight back a little as it seems it is a little difficult to get warranty work of that caliber done willingly sometimes.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

must be the 6spds

mine is solid as DIAMOND! lol
      09-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

I have third gear problems too. Intermittent, but occasionally it refuses or grinds going into third...

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
DarKWing
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Update on the transmission: it took about 3 weeks to get my car back, but it was worth the wait. Mad props to BMW of Fairfax for their consistently good service on the Z4 and my old E39 530i.

I had no idea the shifter was supposed to feel that good... I'm still mystified by this failure, though. After talking to quite a few independent mechanics and dealer reps, I'm convinced it was either a fluke or caused by severe abuse during the car's first 12,000 miles of life as a service loaner.

What I can't figure out is what kind of abuse and improper shifting could have caused the transmission to fail without burning the clutch? Dumping the clutch maybe?

Last edited by DarKWing; 09-25-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Add some thoughts
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
What dealer puts a manual tranny car into service as a loaner? That's BEGGING for abuse. Half (or likely even more) of the drivers who used it probably had no experience/skill driving a manual in the first place, and no doubt that poor thing took a beating. Glad the outcome was good. Sounds like you have a great dealer.
      11-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
SSG S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN Z4

I have the same issue excluding the 3rd gear part. While in traffic i have to play around with my shifter to find first... Sometimes i move it around untill it gets into any gear, once that happens it goes into 1st no problem. It gets easier as the transmission warms up, while the car is slowly rowling and its in newtral or when reving it a bit before putting it in gear. Kinda weird but getting used to it, and it guarantees that ill be the only one driving my "Kate"

SSG S
Appreciate 0