ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
killjohnnyforan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
In reference to slamming the car, do you not know how to read entire sentences? If you slam a car onto it's tires you'll mess up the geometry so much it will handle horridly. Doesn't mean you have to with the KWs, but thats the reason most people buy them, because you can do that, where as with a lot of other setups you'll run out of adjustment.
i did not refernce slamming it in that sentence.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

there ya go
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #24
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjohnnyforan View Post
i did not refernce slamming it in that sentence.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

there ya go
You referenced what I said in context of slamming the car, that means you were referencing it. That's what people call taking something out of context and that's only what ignorant people do.
      01-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #25
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

The KW as just as good as the Tckline on the street. If using street tires and don't do a whole lot of track day. You just put them on the car follow the KW setup guide and your on your way.

The TCkline are better on the track only because of stiffer spring rates. However most people don't have any clue what spring rates work on their car listen to others that also don't have a clue and most of the time end up with too stiff a spring rate dampers that may or may not be valved properly for the springs. You have to know what you are doing to make the TCkline work well. The same goes for Ground Controls.

Another option is the KW Clubsports. They are more talored for the track. KW did all the R&D and made an excellent coilover kit that works on the car. No need to guess at spring rates or shock damping. KW uses a shaker rig and actual testing on cars to come up with what works. KW simply as a much higher level of R&D than the other companies that make coilovers for the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprint View Post
The KW as just as good as the Tckline on the street. If using street tires and don't do a whole lot of track day. You just put them on the car follow the KW setup guide and your on your way.

The TCkline are better on the track only because of stiffer spring rates and using linear springs instead of progressive like KW. However most people don't have any clue what spring rates work on their car listen to others that also don't have a clue and most of the time end up with too stiff a spring rate dampers that may or may not be valved properly for the springs unless your not an idiot and buy the dual adjustable coilovers and can change the valving yourself. You have to know what you are doing to make the TCkline work. The same goes for Ground Controls.

Another option is the KW Clubsports. They are more talored for the track. KW did all the R&D and made an excellent coilover kit that works on the car. No need to guess at spring rates or shock damping. KW uses a shaker rig and actual testing on cars to come up with what works. KW simply as a much higher level of R&D than the other companies that make coilovers for the Z4M.
Bold stuff added by me

Unfortunately all that "R&D" is useless if your car is not like theirs. Depending on what tires you are using both compound and width alone will throw off that "R&D" and necessitate different spring rates and dampening. Let alone if you have rollbars or drop the car to a different height then their test car.

And I'm really not being a TCkline leg humper here. But there is no comparing KW V3s with TCkline DA system for tracking (these are the same "trim" systems)

I'd say the KW club sports are great, I'm sure comparable to the equal "trim" ones that tckline offers which are a step up from the DAs. I have no comment on to which is better as I don't have experience with either.

But comparing the KW v3s and TCK DAs the better track setup is unarguable.