ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I had a 2003 with SSG and I don't think it's the way it operates. If you give it gas in 1st gear, no matter what you do with DSC, it'll go. It doesn't let you "blip" the throttle while in 1st. You have to do it in neutral.

And the clutch doesn't hoover above the engagement point. It basically allows you to do a "burn-out", which is what happens when DSC is disabled fully anyway. It's not a special "acceleration assist" mode. And by definition, Launch Control is closer to what the M3s does. Keep the clutch disc barely above engagement, and feather it for you as soon as you let go of a switch (on the M3 it's the gear selector lever) while you bury your foot to the floor, therefore taking all the guess work out of working the clutch properly for the fastest launch.
I understand. Maybe it changed in 2004. The gear selector says 1st but once I activate the acceleration assistant I can feather the throttle without the clutch hooking up. Similar to when I'm on a decline and in first gear at a redlight, if I let go of the brakes the car still rolls in reverse, although the selector says 1st, the clutch is still depressed. It stays this way until I hit the kickdown switch on the accelerator pedal and keep it buried.. then it launches. Exactly like the 330i SMG in the video I posted above. As expected since they use the same SSG systems / engines. I've only tried it twice, as the car is only 2-3 weeks old to me... both times it launched without smoking the tires, but they were oldish winter tires and they were on warmer days so that might've helped.

I didn't know that the clutch hovering around the engagement point was required, and I honestly have no idea what it does on the Z4... all I know is the thing goes like stink as the others have posted above.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #24
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Again, that is not launch control. I'll bet if you put the car in non-sport mode, and floor it in first, it'll do exactly the same thing. SMG/SSG or any form of automated hydraulic clutch system will allow for some spool up of RPM to ease the transition from stationary state.

The ONLY thing that I know of that putting it in sport mode and turning off DSC completely will do, is that it will shift up from 1st to 2nd automatically for you. Outside of that it does absolutely nothing of the sort similar to what launch control does.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0