ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #221
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuggagZ4M View Post
In order to order all parts in advance, before the first airboxes arrive, I have enclosed the question of what is needed for the Z4M:

6x BMW hose 11612466477
6x BMW hose clamp 11617830306

That's it, or is something still missing?
I'm confused so Z4M owners Do NOT need this kit or we do ?

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #222
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
And code does not work.....
Did not work for me either.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #223
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamFSU View Post
I'm confused so Z4M owners Do NOT need this kit or we do ?
We (Z4M owners) do need to buy these parts. You can reuse your engine-side hose clamps. However, they're hard to get off without damaging them. It may be worth having some spares just in case (part number 11617831745).

It's not good that the discount codes aren't working. Did you email back to Karbonius?

I started my installation yesterday but it seems I'm missing the bracket and screws for the underside that hold the rubber mount for one of the air hoses. So, it'll be a little while before I'll have feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 10:09 PM   #224
maupineda
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBan View Post
Keep me posted if you don't receive the email soon.
Hi! the coupon did not work, it is saying the max number of coupons has been reached. however, according to the mechanics, only the people who confirmed got the code. I have sent Karb an email. hopefully, this will sort out for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 02:51 AM   #225
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Hi! the coupon did not work, it is saying the max number of coupons has been reached. however, according to the mechanics, only the people who confirmed got the code. I have sent Karb an email. hopefully, this will sort out for me.
That's pretty weird. I hope they sort it out quickly!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 03:33 AM   #226
Polarbert
English Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I also got the message about the coupon code exceeding the max. Is everyone going to be missing a bracket and screw for the underside or was that just something specific to your M MBan?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #227
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbert View Post
I also got the message about the coupon code exceeding the max. Is everyone going to be missing a bracket and screw for the underside or was that just something specific to your M MBan?
I would assume it's just me. It is something specific for airbox (i.e. it's not an OE part you can reuse), so should be included.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 03:53 AM   #228
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbert View Post
I would assume it's just me. It is something specific for airbox (i.e. it's not an OE part you can reuse), so should be included.
Do you have a picture of your missing parts, so that I can better imagine what parts are missing?

I will get my Airbox by end of the follow week (according to DHL tracking). That means it is already on the way 😍

Interested in SOUNDGENERATOR like Airboxsound for S54? Whatsapp to +49 171 - 9945373
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #229
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Excellent progress. Really nice to see this take flight. Awesome job mban.
Appreciate 3
wdb5021.00
MBan178.50
      11-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #230
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuggagZ4M View Post
Do you have a picture of your missing parts, so that I can better imagine what parts are missing?

I will get my Airbox by end of the follow week (according to DHL tracking). That means it is already on the way 😍
If you look at the third picture at the link below you can see on the right hand side there is a raised section on the airbox. It's a bit hard to see because it's black but there is a metal bracket attached to the top. That's the part I'm missing.

https://karbonius.net/producto/m3-e46-airbox-oem-style/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #231
Polarbert
English Member
Rep

Garage List
I'm really hoping karbonius will reply to my email today I'm desperate to order. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:38 AM   #232
maupineda
Major
United_States
Rep

They fixed it for me, my order is in. I had to use PayPal which hit me with another 70 euros, the damn credit card was not being taken.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #233
Polarbert
English Member
Rep

Garage List
Mine ordered also. I cannot bloody wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #234
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Got it to work! Had to use PayPal also.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:37 PM   #235
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

For the hose clamps... You guys should just skip on buying the expensive OEM one time use ones. FCP sells quality clamps that fit just fine. I have the CRP 50-70 mm ones on both my E46 M3 and Z4M and they're great and really cheap. The 9mm 60-80 mm ones made by GEMI should fit the airbox side but I have never bought them myself.

engine side
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/hos...-9mm-wide-mh36

airbox side..

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/hos...emi-hc-60-80-9

Also recommend this assorted hose clamp set from HF. When you're in there, it is a good idea to clean the IACV which has one time use clamps as well

https://www.harborfreight.com/hose-c...ece-62363.html
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #236
maupineda
Major
United_States
Rep

Karb is turning around the units very quickly, I think they may have produced stock in advance. my order ships today.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  33.9 KB

Crossing my fingers all goes fine
Appreciate 2
wdb5021.00
MBan178.50
      11-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #237
Polarbert
English Member
Rep

Garage List
My box went from Spain to California in two days. I'm rather impressed in the speed but then again the shipping cost was more than ten percent the cost of the box. Estimated delivery is Monday but I'm hoping before then.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 04:32 AM   #238
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Hello all,

I received my box two days ago and installed it yesterday.

SOUND:
First of all about the sound "with" Eventuri kit: Yes, it really is 1:1 like an open airbox. Maybe 5% quieter. But the sound etc. is 1:1 identical (I recently drove a Z4M with an open airbox).

So it's really cool.

Comparison to Eventuri and sound generator:
At the same time, I drove the Eventuri one day before (to have a comparison that is close in time) and again with the Eventuri "and" my self-designed sound generator.

And I have to say: I still don't want to miss the airbox from Karbonius, because you also have beautiful carbon.
By the way, the box only weighs 1450 grams. The original OEM airbox weighs 4.2 kg... so that's a saving of about 2.8 kg.

But at the same time I also think....
For 1950€ (that's the cost of the Karbonius airbox incl. German 19% tax, shipping and the original BMW rubber nozzles) + 925Euro for the Eventuri Intake, you can also "actually" drive my sound generator just as well for only 400 Euros. Because the difference is almost non-existent. The sound generator is just as loud in the interior (without Eventuri!... with Eventuri it might even be minimally louder). It only produces a little more bass. Otherwise, the sound experience is almost identical... because the sound generator captures exactly the same sounds as the airbox produces. And also exactly the same rev ranges sound exactly the same (airbox as well as sound generator are only audible from approx. 3000 revs to approx. 5000 revs, after that the sound of both goes clearly back towards series, because the throttle valves close again and the VANOS switches differently).

So it's difficult, because it's actually super cool, but at the same time you think to yourself: for that money you can also buy the sound generator and then buy something else nice from the rest.

Nevertheless, I'm definitely keeping the Karbonius airbox for now.

And no, that's not meant as hidden marketing for my sound generator. Because the airbox is already cool... super well made, you have carbon etc.. But neutrally considered, it costs 4.5 times as much for an almost identical sound.

By the way, I wasn't able to generate any extra power. Yesterday it was 17.5 degrees and I was even about 0.4 seconds slower, although the tank was emptier than 2 weeks ago with just my sound generator.

Now to two shortcomings of the box:

In itself, the box fits well. But what is not well solved is the opening to the pipe bend/air duct. It slips off immediately because the opening is unfortunately conical. If you tighten the clamp, the pipe bend slips off and the wrong air is drawn in. In addition, the rubber seal that is present in the OEM box does not fit in between. So I first used two layers of adhesive tape and then tightened the pipe bend on top. This is not a nice solution, but it works for now. But be careful here too: even with adhesive tape, it can slip if you pull the clamp too tight.
By the way, I also tried this with the pipe bend of the M3 E46... was exactly the same result.

What's also a bit strange is that the oil dipstick now sits directly on the airbox. So there's almost no air, whereas with the OEM there was around 7-10 mm air.

Last thing: You also need a new crankcase breather hose. The original one is a bit too short. I cut mine in the middle and then lengthened it. An original one will therefore be ordered today, which would then fit again during reassembly.

All in all, it's still great.

Would I buy the box again? I don't know... At a price of 1300 euros including the BMW hoses etc., definitely! But at almost 2000 euros, I'm not sure.
Attached Images

Interested in SOUNDGENERATOR like Airboxsound for S54? Whatsapp to +49 171 - 9945373

Last edited by GuggagZ4M; 11-10-2022 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
wdb5021.00
      11-10-2022, 05:46 AM   #239
maupineda
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the detailed review...

Did you test the Airbox + Eventuri + Your Sound Generator? This, in my opinion, would be the best in terms of experience, in and out the cabin .

Any Check Engine lights, or odds? And you are correct, the same thoughts I had in my mind as I bought your generator way back at the beginning of the year, but I could not pass on the carbon looks, and though the sound is there, and judging by your videos, the generator gives a higher pitch sound, whereas the carbon airbox adds a throatier, more bassy sound. the generator alone sounds a bit "synthetic". So, I am totally with you, is expensive, but hey, YOLO.

You should throw some videos mate for us all to hear... My box won't' be installed until next weekend if all goes to plan.

Last edited by maupineda; 11-10-2022 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:21 AM   #240
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Attached are 4 short videos I have just made, all of which show a comparison. Unfortunately, the comparison is not perfect, as I do not always drive at identical speeds. But this way you can compare relatively well. Mobile phone recordings are never perfect... but all videos were taken with my Iphone 13pro... so it's a pretty good phone.

The important thing is: put on good headphones. I just listened to the videos again via my USB speaker box of the PC and it sounds worse than it is (applies to all videos).

Karbonius OEM Style Box with Eventuri:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sBxQZm58Etg

My sound generator (rest is stock):
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7lcCgCVwZ8I

Eventuri Intake + (rest is Stock):
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/685qvE9aY2M

Complete Stock
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FszZkWc8Dqc

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:28 AM   #241
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Thanks for the detailed review...

Did you test the Airbox + Eventuri + Your Sound Generator? This, in my opinion, would be the best in terms of experience, in and out the cabin .

Any Check Engine lights, or odds? And you are correct, the same thoughts I had in my mind as I bought your generator way back at the beginning of the year, but I could not pass on the carbon looks, and though the sound is there, and judging by your videos, the generator gives a higher pitch sound, whereas the carbon airbox adds a throatier, more bassy sound. the generator alone sounds a bit "synthetic". So, I am totally with you, is expensive, but hey, YOLO.

You should throw some videos mate for us all to hear... My box won't' be installed until next weekend if all goes to plan.
To be honest, I don't think it will do any good.

I'll make my own ideas for everyone:

If someone wants to spend a lot of money and wants only the highest quality for their Z4M:
--> Karbonius OEM Style Box + Eventuri Intake = approx. 3000€.

If someone want Sound - inside AND outside - which should sound as much as possible like a real carbon airbox, but has little money / wants to spend:

--> My sound generator (400€) for inside + Eventuri Intake 925€ (for outside).

If someone only needs airbox-like sound "inside" and wants to spend little money:
--> My sound generator only (400€)

If someone only needs airbox-like sound "inside" (and just a little bit outside) and wants to spend a lot of money:
--> Karbonius OEM Style Box

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #242
maupineda
Major
United_States
Rep

Just went through your videos, and agree, the OEM-style Karb + Eventuri is a 1:1 match for the CSL replica. The tone is the same. Here is a video of mine, in my video the bassier tone and louder volume is due to the exhaust, I think they are equal.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CT27PbrFkvv

About the other configurations, I agree, your invention is 80% there, but is also way cheaper, only nuts like us would care about the tonality of the sound.
Appreciate 1