ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
One car garage: for Z4MR or 911?

I have a small one car garage in addition to an outside parking space for one car to split between my 2008 128i and 2006 Z4MR. In winter the Z4MR is stored away offsite freeing up the garage for the 128i but in the summer the Z4MR is always in my one car garage to keep it locked up safe and away from the elements while the 128i stays outside.

Seriously thinking of adding a 991.1 Carrera 4S to the stable which I plan to take out in winter on good weather days. Plan to store it in the garage on winter rubber while the Z4MR is stored elsewhere and again leave the 128i outside. Simple solution.

Summer is not so simple. 128i will be parked on the street or offsite. I don't like having the Z4MR outside in the parking spot unnecessarily with the top exposed to the elements while parked. Just my thing. At the same time my neighbourhood is a transit between a couple bad neighbourhoods and there are some unsavory types wandering around at night. A little nervous about leaving the 991.1 outside unprotected at night, afraid it might become a target for vandalism one of these days. Maybe irrational, maybe not.

What would you guys do in this situation? Was thinking of leaving the C4S in the garage and getting a rain proof cover to put on the Z4MR while it is parked outside. Worried a bit to put the cover on if we're coming back in the rain and the top is already wet (it'll just hold all the water in). Suppose I could swap the cars around in that case til the top is dry and rain has stopped.

Moving to a bigger house isn't practical (don't really want to have a mortgage again and more property taxes/maintenance). Garage isn't tall enough for a lift. Am I overthinking this?

Last edited by Lucky1; 03-15-2019 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Oooooo - tough call. Why not sell the 128, daily drive the 991, keep the Z4MR?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegz4m View Post
Oooooo - tough call. Why not sell the 128, daily drive the 991, keep the Z4MR?
Trunk and people space. Still want to be able to haul large items (suitcases, Home Depot shopping runs, etc) and carry family members 2+ family members "comfortably". Also on really nasty or road salty wintery days want to use the 128i instead of the 911 even if the C4S with the engine over the rear wheels and AWD is technically the more capable car.

But the 128i isn't the main challenge here since I can live with street parking it. Its my desire to protect the Z4MR from the elements and the 911 as well to a higher degree Maybe I just accept the fact that at any time something can happen to either and thats what insurance is for.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you since I am having the same issue. Covered parking space is the main reason that had prevented me from getting another car Men and their toys - first world problem
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:12 AM   #6
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

My car situation is that I have a 1 car driveway and a one car garage. I've got a Z4m coupe and a 981. Both of which I want in the garage too. I am thinking more and more that I might just need to get a lift in the garage. I looked into it and it wasn't as expensive as I thought. That might be my solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
My car situation is that I have a 1 car driveway and a one car garage. I've got a Z4m coupe and a 981. Both of which I want in the garage too. I am thinking more and more that I might just need to get a lift in the garage. I looked into it and it wasn't as expensive as I thought. That might be my solution.
That's the best solution if your garage have enough height to support 2 cars.
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
That's the best solution if your garage have enough height to support 2 cars.
Agreed. Wish I had enough ceiling room to do the same but increasing it would mean having to lose my kitchen LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Rain-proof cover is not a good option as it traps moisture, either coming off the car or off the ground. I learned this the hard way with my first Zed.

I'd store the M away with occasional driving time. At this point it's only going to appreciate so think of it as an investment. If you were to sell the Zed, I'd get a 997 turbo instead of the C4S to get closer to the fun factor of the M in the same price range.
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Rain-proof cover is not a good option as it traps moisture, either coming off the car or off the ground. I learned this the hard way with my first Zed.

I'd store the M away with occasional driving time. At this point it's only going to appreciate so think of it as an investment. If you were to sell the Zed, I'd get a 997 turbo instead of the C4S to get closer to the fun factor of the M in the same price range.
Thanks, I had a feeling about the moisture and rain proof cover.

Zed is definitely NOT for sale and no plans to replace with anything, P car or otherwise It is way too awesome a car and I need a convertible for the few summer months we get here.

You think the Z4M roadsters will appreciate? I know the coupe's will but I'm less bullish on the roadies. Either way its irreplaceable to me. As of now the 911 would get sold first as crazy as that sounds.

Guess I'm also investing in a home security system
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post

Zed is definitely NOT for sale and no plans to replace with anything, P car or otherwise It is way too awesome a car and I need a convertible for the few summer months we get here.

You think the Z4M roadsters will appreciate? I know the coupe's will but I'm less bullish on the roadies. Either way its irreplaceable to me. As of now the 911 would get sold first as crazy as that sounds.

Would getting that off site parking year round be an option, that's what I would do.

I definitely think the Roadsters will appreciate for sure. The Coupes have already sailed and you see how much E46 M3s cost these days. There's no reason for an M Roadster to be currently going for cheaper than the M3s when they are just as stiff and actually much more rare.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:

Would getting that off site parking year round be an option, that's what I would do.

I definitely think the Roadsters will appreciate for sure. The Coupes have already sailed and you see how much E46 M3s cost these days. There's no reason for an M Roadster to be currently going for cheaper than the M3s when they are just as stiff and actually much more rare.
Offsite parking is available (and I may store the 128i there) but its a few minutes down the road to be convenient. Gotta get up in the morning and choose between the P and the Z by the time I'm out the door
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

Yeah prices are definitely going up, but not as fast or high as MC prices. I sold mine last year after 3 years and 16k miles (total of 42k miles) for the exact same price I'd paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah prices are definitely going up, but not as fast or high as MC prices. I sold mine last year after 3 years and 16k miles (total of 42k miles) for the exact same price I'd paid for it.
I had my first Z4MC up for sale in 2009 when it was 2 years old, about 15k miles - for $29k, still under warranty and free maintenance for 2 more years. I had a few tire-kickers but no buyer. Thank goodness. I decided to pay it off and hang onto it. Wound up selling in 2015, just replaced it this past November.

I traded it to EAG in 2015 and Eric wound up selling it for $29k with 57k miles on it. That was about the bottom of the depreciation curve. Prices are heading upwards, but there still aren't a ton of willing buyers when you do want to sell. I think they will continue to appreciate moving forward - especially ones with low mileage, a desirable spec, and in bone-stock (or close to it) condition.
      03-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #15
DVCNick
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Sure you don't have enough space for a lift?

It is tight, but I bet borderline doable to fit a Z4 and a 911 stacked in a normal ceiling height garage. I've seen many pics of similar setups; just looks like they have to put some kind of height marker on the lift to make sure they stop just short of putting the top car through the ceiling.

That was one of the reasons I moved a couple years ago... Two car, high ceiling garage that I could stick two lifts in if I wanted (do want one so I can park my DD inside also). Problem now, I don't have enough cash to fill the place up. :

If definitely not enough space for a lift, I'd just use the offsite parking year round and go trade cars every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #16
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCNick View Post
Sure you don't have enough space for a lift?

It is tight, but I bet borderline doable to fit a Z4 and a 911 stacked in a normal ceiling height garage. I've seen many pics of similar setups; just looks like they have to put some kind of height marker on the lift to make sure they stop just short of putting the top car through the ceiling.

That was one of the reasons I moved a couple years ago... Two car, high ceiling garage that I could stick two lifts in if I wanted (do want one so I can park my DD inside also). Problem now, I don't have enough cash to fill the place up. :

If definitely not enough space for a lift, I'd just use the offsite parking year round and go trade cars every now and then.
Yeah I'm sure. I can almost reach the ceiling while standing on the garage floor and I'm not that tall. Offsite parking will probably go to the 128i which will only come out when I need to haul 3 adult sized passenger or need a bigger trunk. Would like to have the Z4MR and 911 at home for easy switchability As batsh*t crazy as if sounds in summer I plan on taking the Z4MR on most sunny days and only the 911 when its raining or too cold/windy for top down motoring.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #17
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
I have the same problem. Always thought if you can't go up what about going down.

2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter

Last edited by Cyclops; 03-22-2019 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #18
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I have the same problem. Always thought if you can go up what about going down.

Amazing!!! I was actually wondering if I could do the same thing! How much capital does one have to allocate to such a project?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #19
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Amazing!!! I was actually wondering if I could do the same thing! How much capital does one have to allocate to such a project?
When I was doing research a couple years ago it was going to be around 40K CAD. Since I'm in the burbs it really doesn't make sense for me since 40K could get me new house with a double car garage. I could totally see the investment in downtown where a move isn't as easy. I'm sure if you did it yourself it be less than 40K, the lift itself delivered to Toronto was 10-15K USD.

Name:  UndergroundLift.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  112.7 KB
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #20
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

No, you want one of these:

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Nah, y'all are thinking too hard. Too expensive.

The best option is just to bring it into the house.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
What? The Evolution-4 car cover, which is rainproof and has been around for over 20 years does not trap moisture. We have a 22 year old Z3. We kept it under a Evo-4 cover for 4 years until I built a 3-car car port. The original top lasted for 18 years. The car has no rust nor mold. What are you talking about?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0