ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4

Looking at 2003 Z4

test drove a 03 Z4 with 66k miles on it at a local BMW dealer. Everything looked pretty darn good, but I wanted to ask if there is anything in particular one should look for.

Car had premium package, sport package, and some other stuff. Has Nav but it looks pretty outdated and my phone can do a better/faster job.

Also, What is the best option for adding the ability to play music from an ipod? FM modulator type thing? Is it best to leave the run flats or do most people change them out? I don't necessarily like them but I assume I could swap them out and just sell the run flats.

After looking at convertibles for 3 weeks now, I think I like the Z4 the best. S2000 was good but is so bare bones and the MX5 has the options I like best but it didn't drive as well as the Z4 to me and just looks kinda plain.

Is maintenance easy to do yourself, like oil changes and what not? Going back tomorrow to look at it again with the wife.

How bout the MPGs for people with the 6 speed 3.0i? I'm sure it all depends on how you drive it but just curious if people are getting better than rated.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Hi there!

Your car sounds pretty nice to me. I can't comment much on the maintenance, but I can tell you that I changed out my run flats for a set of Hankook Ventus V12's. They are much smoother, quieter, and the steering is much nicer with almost no tramlining. But if there is lots of tread left on your run flats, you don't have to ditch them right away.

I think that most folks install an auxiliary input for an ipod / mp3 player. If you are handy, you do that by removing the radio from the dash and plugging into the back of the radio. Perhaps others can advise of the full procedure, and if the 2003 Z4 had a port at the back of the radio for this.

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
ftlaudm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 LSB ; Z4 3.0i

I just got a 03 Z4 3.0i. Only had it a few days and love it. Maint is the same as any car. Oil changes are easy on BMW's. There is a flap under the car that you take off and undo the drain plug. The oil filter is the easiest on any car I have worked on. It's a canister in the front of the engine(silver). You take the bolt off, pull the cap off and the filter comes out. No spilling. Put on new crush washer (drain plug), canister lid rubber piece, and new o-ring at bottom of bolt. Car takes multiple types of oil. Do a search..lots of info. I plan on doing mine soon and going to use Mobil 1 0w-40. Takes 7 qts

For the radio you can get an auxiliary port. Attaches to back of radio and you put it where u like. I plan on doing that and the MFSW (multi function steering wheel) mod soon as well. You just need to add a two wire cable for the steering wheel if yours doesn't have it. There is a few DIY's on the site.

As for the car. I am super happy with my choice. Took me 3 weeks to find the car I wanted. It does have some rattles, but that is to be expected from a roadster. Wish mine had NAV so your lucky. I looked long and hard at all options. The only other car that compared was the Boxster S in my opinion. Always wanted a Porsche, but I guess that will have to wait for a 911. You either like the car or not. Same goes for the Boxster. I have a history with BMW and don't like the thought of maintenance on the mid engine Boxster. I don't like that I can't see the engine and I assume its a pain to work on. I drove one and it has more of a go kart feeling. Handles amazing though. The Z4 feels like a batman car with the long front and short back. I like it!! To each his own.....The Z4 you listed seems like a nice car. Good luck with your choice!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Routine maintenance is very easy on the Z4. Oil changes are very easy and I just did the differential and that was easy as well. Just have a good set of ramps or jack stands.

If you go to regular tires instead of run flats, you will need the mobility kit or a spare to put in the trunk. Continental makes a mobility kit that is a little less than BMWs.

I've had my 2005 2.5 for a year now and love it. Don't have any plan to get rid of it anytime soon. If you pull the trigger there are tons of "how-tos" on here to help you along and save money. Along with a lot of folks that are quick to help.

Your mileage should run upper teens/lower 20s city, upper 20s highway.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

I get 14-15mpg but I often drive in heavy urban traffic.

The best iPod option is Intravee II. You should be able to get one for $300-400 (including the required Alpine adapter).

Oil changes can be easily done but most indy shops do it for $80-100, which is cheap enough for me and worth less than the time/hassle I should put in.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've got all the tools and what not to do oil changes and other work so thats cool.

So, hopefully, if the numbers all work and they do some other stuff, I'll pickup this 2003 silver Z4
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Donovan303
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 2.5 Z4

I bought a 2003 Z4 a couple years back with about the same mileage and package options, also silver. It is a 2.5 though. It was a CPO car.

Right after I got it I replaced the coolant system, but I was expecting that based on my research into these cars. I've done the work on the car myself. Oil changes are very simple. Diff and trans fluid is also easy once you decide what you want to put in there

I ditched the run flats immediately and it made a great improvement in the car IMO.

I installed XM radio and enjoy that.

My car is a daily driver and used for commuting and now has 127xxx miles.

Recently my check airbag light came on which looks like a dealership trip since the tool isn't something I've got. Also, my driver's side door lock actuator has started giving me trouble when it is very hot outside.

I get 29.4 mpg according to the car computer.

Keep the soft top drains clear (I do mine twice a year) and enjoy.

Cheers,
Donovan
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan303 View Post
I bought a 2003 Z4 a couple years back with about the same mileage and package options, also silver. It is a 2.5 though. It was a CPO car.

Right after I got it I replaced the coolant system, but I was expecting that based on my research into these cars. I've done the work on the car myself. Oil changes are very simple. Diff and trans fluid is also easy once you decide what you want to put in there

I ditched the run flats immediately and it made a great improvement in the car IMO.

I installed XM radio and enjoy that.

My car is a daily driver and used for commuting and now has 127xxx miles.

Recently my check airbag light came on which looks like a dealership trip since the tool isn't something I've got. Also, my driver's side door lock actuator has started giving me trouble when it is very hot outside.

I get 29.4 mpg according to the car computer.

Keep the soft top drains clear (I do mine twice a year) and enjoy.

Cheers,
Donovan
what do you mean you 'replaced the coolant system'? like just flushed it out or what?

I have to till saturday afternoon now but the sales person knows that I am coming so I hope it survives long enough and then I hope they give me a decent trade on my RX-8.

After looking at another Miata today...all I can say is the Z4 just beats them all, it has the looks and the feel over the MX5 and the s2000

Some other questions:
Can you add a homelink/auto dim mirror to these cars?
Can the 03 take a factory ipod attachment?
Can you replace the steering wheel with one that has audio controls?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Donovan303
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
what do you mean you 'replaced the coolant system'? like just flushed it out or what?
No, sorry I wasn't clear. There is a lot of information on these cars having unreliable cooling systems after 60,000 - 70,000 miles or so. Maybe a little longer. Shortly after I got my car there was a leak in the upper rad hose. I replaced that. A week or so later the expansion tank blew. This could have been bad, but I was at a stop light at idle and was able to get off the road and shut down before an overheat occured. At that time I went ahead and replaced the tank, lower rad hose, water pump, thermostat, pulley and aux fan. It is easy to do all this while doing the water pump so I went ahead and covered my bases. I did not replace the radiator itself and it is still doing its job. The water pump was in the midst of failing and the aux fan tested bad (I had never needed it due to driving conditions and the time of year) so I'm of the opinion that when one of these components goes the rest might not be far behind. As I said, before I bought my car I read a lot about this, the water pump inparticular, and so I was prepared. You should be too.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

that almost makes me think twice about this now. I have the tools and what not to work on cars in my garage but I'm not looking to get a car that I am going to have to possibly put lots of hours and money into soon after buying it, specially since it would be a DD.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had an e36 m3 which is also known for terrible cooling issues, but mine ran with the original radiator/tank/pump/t-stat/hoses/etc for 168k miles. Sold it like that too. It only ever got close to overheating while driving from SD to Vegas in 113 degree heat. Just turned the AC off and it was fine.

That being said, if you check the coolant and it's low, you may need to evaluate the cooling system before purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I did a ton of research when I bought my first Z4 which was a 2.5i and didn't see any cooling issues (I do remember some 2003 specific issues, but nothing 2004+ besides the soft top drains and the warm steering issue).

Do you have a source for your info?
      10-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Donovan303
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found the information in Bimmerforums and Bimmerfest.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Huh googling around I found this page. Combining all the coolant related problems it makes 14 out of the 30 problems reported on that site.
      10-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

so is this truely a huge problem? i'm guessing other than seeing leaks there is no wya to tell that it will go boom
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
I had to replace my expansion tank at 60k ish rage in my 04'. Its also for-sale if you're interested. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603046
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

how did you know it needed to be changed? did it crack or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
When I opened the hood to clean the engine bay I noticed white stuff all over the front of the bay, then looked right at the tank. Google'd info about it, then asked here, called up GPO (my shop) and they ordered one and installed it the next day. Haven't had an issue with it sense. The tank comes in two sections plus the cap, why? IDK cheap design if you ask me a very common failure unfortunately.

Last edited by DataStream18; 10-29-2011 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #19
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

anyone know if 2003 actually came with bluetooth or not? bluetooth is listed as a feature but I dont see it in the black book cost guide at all. included with Nav?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
anyone know if 2003 actually came with bluetooth or not? bluetooth is listed as a feature but I dont see it in the black book cost guide at all. included with Nav?
Bigbacon, I see you took my advice for posting in this forum
If you have bluetooth I believe you should be able to see a telephone option on the nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've posted everywhere

heading back there tomorrow to see if I can make a deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #22
bigbacon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

question for you guys....

would you go for this?

Car has some electric issue with the window/mirror controls on the drivers door. That is really thre only major thing wrong with the car other than some minor cosmetic issues which are cheap to fix.

So I was pointing all this out to the sales girl, she plays around and then gets a manager and they come back and say they decided to not actually sell the car anymore and they would wholesale it.

Few hours later I called back just to see if they were lieing just to not sell me the car or not. I asked them if they would sell it at a reduced price, they said yes and said 15k as-is.

Now the car is still eligible for an extended warranty which I was planning to purchase anyway. (like $2500 bucks) which would cover the electrical issue.

I also called a BMW dealer and gave them the VIN and guy said it was questonable if maintenance 2 was done but the place I was at (a certified BMW place) did a whole bunch of work. Car did have a coolant flush, oil flush, transflush about 10,000 miles ago which is why the guy said it was sort of questionable .

cosmetic issues include your normal paint scratches, emblems front and back are peeling, 3rd brake light plastic is chipped a bit, a plastic panel under the front drivers side is cracked, the storage net by passengers feet has one broken plastic clip, and the rubber molding around the windshield (top and bottom) is cracked a bit but it seems just like cosmetic piece to cover the window seam. Easy and cheap to replace stuff it seems (minus the molding I think)

So...would you go for it? Car was originally listed at $17,998

Again, 2003 3.0i 6speed, premium, sport, and convenience packages. has Nav and heated seats also.
Appreciate 0