ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-15-2024, 08:25 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
APR Splitter Install

I know there’s few threads and the original DIY but looking for some fresh ideas. Has anyone installed the APR splitter with support mounts hidden behind the bumper (i.e. to the frame rails)? Or better yet does anyone know if e46 brackets would fit our cars?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-15-2024 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 10:53 AM   #2
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

I just did that with some custom 3d printed mounts (my own design), aluminum rods and other hardware. 2 rods are going through the lower grille and into the rebar from front and there's one right in the middle behind the bumper/grille for additional rigidity. I also tried to do similar side mounts but its very difficult as there's almost no room and it would make the process of taking the bumper off and putting it on very difficult. But regardless of the side mounts its held pretty well and sides are mounted to bumper and everything is pretty solid.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 05:42 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by belcom View Post
I just did that with some custom 3d printed mounts (my own design), aluminum rods and other hardware. 2 rods are going through the lower grille and into the rebar from front and there's one right in the middle behind the bumper/grille for additional rigidity. I also tried to do similar side mounts but its very difficult as there's almost no room and it would make the process of taking the bumper off and putting it on very difficult. But regardless of the side mounts its held pretty well and sides are mounted to bumper and everything is pretty solid.
Though I’ve not tried anything yet, I’ve taken the bumper off enough times where I recall there not being much space to work with. Just to clarify you went with APR or did you make a custom splitter? Also mind posting pics of how it looks? And have you had chance to test it out (standing on it or actually taking on track)?
      08-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #4
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Though I’ve not tried anything yet, I’ve taken the bumper off enough times where I recall there not being much space to work with. Just to clarify you went with APR or did you make a custom splitter? Also mind posting pics of how it looks? And have you had chance to test it out (standing on it or actually taking on track)?
Couple things. My splitter is a modified M3 APR which is very similar to Z4M but it did not have the cutout. Its slightly shorter than Z4M one also but I think looks better this way. Yes, I've been to track with it but its not a super high speed track so I can't say for 100% sure it works as intended but I am sure it will if speeds reach 200km/h+ or so. My mounts are basically holding the middle of the splitter to the crash bar (rebar) behind bumper to make it more rigid without pulling the bumper down. I have heard from experienced drivers that eventually if the splitter is only connected to bumper it will start to sag which is why I decided to do this. I was not planning to stand on it but I know what you mean. I did do a "pull down" test on one of my 3d printed brackets and it held about 92kg of my weight suspended in the air. So I suppose it'll hold unless something else fails.

I will post some pics later today.
Appreciate 1
3002 tii2387.00
      08-30-2024, 04:50 PM   #5
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Sorry for late response but here are some pics... car is dirty :/
Attached Images

Last edited by belcom; 08-30-2024 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
3002 tii2387.00
TRiCC281.00
      08-30-2024, 06:04 PM   #6
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

More pics... There are 3 solid teardrop spacers with 2 holes. A long bolt goes straight through the splitter, spacer then bumper and fixed with a washer and nut. The second hole is used for attaching the mounts which hold the rod with rod end bearing heim joint. Front mount bracket is thinner for a more aesthetic look. Mount brackets have a built-in washer inside for additional strength that is JB welded. I made the rods out of 6061 aluminum. Two of the pictures show the side mounts which I wanted to do however I have abandoned the idea due to practically no space to work with and you can see how close it comes to the oil cooler pipe. When I was doing the final fitment the rod end was basically touching the pipe. The spacers on the sides are still there just without the bracket. I had to cut the bottom tray for those teardrop spacers to fit but its not a big deal. All 3 rods are attached to the metal rebar and it makes the middle of the splitter pretty solid this way. Its not going anywhere.
Attached Images

Last edited by belcom; 08-30-2024 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
TRiCC281.00
AK72298.00