ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-21-2024, 01:24 PM   #1
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Code out full time headlights...

My car is south of Barrie<Ont. Im wondering if there is any forum member nearby that could help me code out the full headlights system on at all times. Its a nuisance and was required when the PO brought car into Canada years ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:45 PM   #2
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

I could try but my old laptop died and don't have ISTA/INPA/NCS Expert etc installed right now. I do plan to re-install on my new laptop but need to buy a large hard drive for this. But if this is something that can be done with Carly then my buddy has one.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 10:51 PM   #3
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

i coded mine out. my car is canada spec. need to find my back up as I cannot remember off memory what were the changes, but is also somewhere in this forum
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 07:23 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

The daytime running light requirement in Canada that turns on the headlights is a safety practice that is intended to increase the visibility of the car to drivers of oncoming traffic. Given that these cars are small, I think that anything that makes them more noticeable to other drivers is desirable and will lower the risk of you being involved in an accident.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2024, 10:37 AM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
The daytime running light requirement in Canada that turns on the headlights is a safety practice that is intended to increase the visibility of the car to drivers of oncoming traffic. Given that these cars are small, I think that anything that makes them more noticeable to other drivers is desirable and will lower the risk of you being involved in an accident.
With that said, I wonder if they were in an accident, especially with a serious injury and or a death, it was found the requirement for headlights being on were disabled, then the insurance company could deny coverage for defeating required safety equipment. Not saying this is going to happen, though a good lawyer and laws may prove the owner fully liable...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 01:14 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
With that said, I wonder if they were in an accident, especially with a serious injury and or a death, it was found the requirement for headlights being on were disabled, then the insurance company could deny coverage for defeating required safety equipment. Not saying this is going to happen, though a good lawyer and laws may prove the owner fully liable...
That’s definitely a risk for anyone in Canada who disables the Canadian spec daytime running light feature on their car. I think though that the risk could be criminal re making an illegal modification that contributed to someone suffering serious harm, and also civil liability for the same reason. If the insurance provider had clauses that require the car to be maintained in compliance with applicable laws, then potentially there goes your insurance coverage too.

For folks driving in the US, I don’t think it’s currently a requirement (but guys please confirm to be sure) so legal risk may not be a concern. Having said that though, given the safety benefits, I would hope that folks would want this and not disable it, particularly if a family member uses the car or is a passenger from time to time.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 05-22-2024 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
pungo899.50
      05-24-2024, 08:18 PM   #7
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Im not talking about killing the drl's- I have full xenon headlights, rear tailights, licence plate light etc on at all times!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 09:13 PM   #8
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Given your title with basically no information and this update I don’t think anybody knows what exactly you’re trying to accomplish and what you want to do
      Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Admittedly, I don't know much about Cannuck spec cars, but I'm assuming it is not normal for the lights (non-DRL) to be on all the time unless they are manually set to ON. Given that is a sound assumption, why would tweaking SW would fix it? If anything, it sounds like a HW fix. Has anyone messed with the wire harnessing?
      Yesterday, 11:58 AM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Seeing as I live up here in Canada, DRLs up here mean that typically, the main headlights turn on when the engine is running, even though the headlight switch is in the OFF position. Taillights and marker lights are also off, unless they are switched on manually, or are activated when the light switch is in the AUTO position.

US spec DRLs light up the inner halos only. I know that because when I imported my car into Canada from Florida, the dealer got confused by my ask to set up DRL on my car and coded in the American spec by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
FWIW, here are all the parameter for coding the LSZ module (best opened in something like notepad++).
As Clearancediver mentioned, not exactly sure what the OP is attempting to accomplish

E85-LSZ.C36-ModuleFunctions.txt
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I think that garz747 is saying that headlights and taillights are on all the time and he can’t drive in the daytime with only the DRLs lit .
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #13
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Sounds like a hardware issue in that case… with the light switch …

Try using electrical cleaner or replace… if that is the circumstance…