11-24-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Thank you -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think this is partially the right answer. However, I don't think the part content changed significantly in between the 11 months the two cars were produced from each other, especially at the end of the E85/86 production. I think BMW decided upon further review to change the country of origin on the Manufacturer's model identification label. The US Federal Trade Commission is responsible for enforcing deceptive labeling practices for products sold in the USA. The FTC also requires just three end products to designate part content on it's product label, automobiles, fur, and textile products. Further, these three products are subject to separate Federal labeling acts. Part content is based on the cost of the parts counting toward production of the vehicle.

I think in the case with the Spartanburg built Z4 probably had 65% German part content based on the AALA label for other BMWs currently built in the plant (X3, X5, X6) and most all of that percentage counted for in the cost of the engine and transmission. But that's different than the FTC's definitions for labeling a car as "Made in the USA", which considers part cost content along with where the car final assembly occurs (as content of the overall production costs for producing the car). It might be as simple as by October of 2007, the cost ratio of the part cost content of the Z4 (65% German) surpassed the cost content for the Sparanburg assembly line production cost and drove the change in the label (just a guess on my part).

Kudos to KevinC for bringing this issue to light. I find it quite interesting and contemplating. I've really never paid that much attention to the manufacturer's label on my Z4 3.0si Coupe, built 11/2007, so I don't know what it says. I'm going to check later today. Interestingly, I have two cars built in Spartanburg, built over a decade apart from each other, so I'm going to see what each label says. The neat fact between my two cars, the Z4 and Z3 roadster, is the last three digits of the VIN are exactly the same.
Thank you for your acumen and detailed explanation.