06-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
Hi, I did see your post. Very cool build. A few things I was wondering:

How did the 1" tweeter fit in the 20mm holder?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any final evaluation on the final sound quality. How does it sound? Did you get it professionally tuned? What would you do different if you did it all over?
The tweeter fit fine, IIRC I had to trim the surround off of the tweeter, then glue it into the mount.

Sound quality is great, I would like to get it tuned, but the wife is happy so that is the true measure of the system. The challenge with a convertible is the settings for the top up are different than the settings with the top down. In other words what sounds great top down, is really bright with the top up. Pretty easy to trim the treble some.

Using the new mic that came with the headunit for handsfree drastically improved that system as well. Much easier to talk to the wife while she is driving, and no exterior noise or interference.

Several things I would do different, not use T-nuts on the MDF in the sub enclosure. The Alpine head unit is a good unit, it isn't as seamless from a BT perspective as I would like. I drive an F150 with sync, every time I get in the truck my phone connects via BT. On the Alpine it is hit and miss. I do have a firmware upgrade I need to apply(which is a PITA), just haven't done it. Hopefully it will improve the BT connectivity. So I would investigate other head units to see how they function in this regard. My wife was used to the Alpine interface so that drove my decision on the head unit.
Appreciate 0