09-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #36
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
top notch Matt, good shit right there man.

i have an oem valve cover lying around you can borrow if you like.
Thanks! I actually bought a second one from a local guy, and it does the same thing as the cover that came off of my engine. I'm starting to suspect that the head is designed to deform under the load of the head bolts - this might be why the machine shop explained that S54 rebores need to be done under a torque plate. I'll check everything again with the head bolted in (this should be straightforward with the ARP stud kit). Going to make a couple of calls to see if any of the shops I'm dealing with know the answer for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiCC View Post
Absolutely ruined!
Right now it is And for the street... probably ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
Gasket selection matters! I have done numerous VCG on a variety of BMWs and when I did the valve adjustment on my M I also replaced the VCG. At a friend's recommendation, I got the Victor Reinz VCG. After installing it, there was a slow leak in the back off one of the half moons. Annoyed at myself, I reinstalled it, and it continued to leak. Then I tried again with a high degree of James May OCD on doing it proper, anddddd still leaked.

Pissed I ran to the dealer and bought an OEM gasket, and wouldn't you know it, no more leaks!
Oh. That's literally the same leak I've been fighting for 3 years. I've always assumed that I'm doing something wrong - either not enough sealant, too much sealant, wrong torquing sequence...

Well, then. I guess I'll pitch the pair of Reinz VCGs I have in the garage and buy some OEM ones... but not until I've tried just once more since it should be much easier to get this done properly with the engine on a stand.

Fun related fact: a buddy did a bit of back-of-napkin math on the 7 ft-lbs / 10 N-m torque spec for the valve cover nuts, and determined that it generates around 14k pounds of clamping force, which is something like 75-90% of the yield strength of mild steel...

That doesn't take into account the fact that the gaskets are under the nuts, of course. But still.
Appreciate 0