View Single Post
      11-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #56
MTHEORY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 996 Porsche GT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
To the OP, both are great cars, it just depends on what you're looking for. The 335i is probably the more comfortable car for daily driving situations, but the M Coupe is a friggin blast to drive when you get some winding/open road.
+1 . . . And now that things seem to have calmed down, and that all the technical barrages appear to have subsided, I would like to add my 2 cents:

The two cars are very different, and to argue about which is "faster" is, as we can see, not convincing either side. My only point is that comparing to MC to a 335 is ludicrous. To the general public, the 335 looks like every other 3 series. Although we as BMW nuts may appreciate the technology in the 335, to most people, it really is just another small sedan.

On the other hand, the MC is truly singular in design. It is fantastically unique. On this fact alone, it stands alone above the entire BMW line up. IT IS THE LAST OF THE TRUE M CARS. The last BMW to use a standard key, it is the last of an already "dead" breed of performance cars. In other words, they don't make them like this anymore. The S54 is recognized around the world of street performance and professional race teams as one of the greatest and most indestructible NA engines ever built.

My answer to the 335 crowed is this: When was the last time anyone chased you down the highway to take a cell phone photo of your 335? How about trying to wash your 335 at a spray wash, but being continuously approached by other car washers saying things like: "Wow, I 've never seen that car before!" or "that's the baddest BMW I've ever seen!". Nope, I doubt it. Has anyone ever photographed your 335 as it sits next to a Lambo in Beverly Hills? All of these things are common occurrences when you drive an MC (and if you like parking next to Lamborghinis in Beverly Hills).

I know this is an old topic, but I think the MC is destined to remain a very unique automobile, especially with the way things (i.e. Prius) are going. So, to compare the MC to one more variant of the pedestrian 3 series, no matter how "fast" the 335 may be, does not make sense.

Last edited by MTHEORY; 11-01-2008 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0