View Single Post
      11-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #55
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
I have an ///M Coupe and so does my brother... When we race each other its very even and our shifting speeds are very comparable ( both very fast). We got one of BMW's test cars, a 6spd sport package 335 and lined them up on the hwy for a roll on.

Shifting as fast as i could in the 335, My brother in his white ///M Coupe was able to pull about 6 cars btw us from 80mph to an indicated 167mph. We did it 3 times with the same result... ///M wins periode. Both cars were stock. The greatest gap was made everytime i shifted, whereas my bro's coupe had another 1000rpm to continue pulling the gap before he had to shift.

Now from a dig the race could go either way, just comes down to how well you launch.

On a road course i dont think there can be any comparison. You will have to spend significant money on the 335i ( coil-overs, sway bars,oil cooler, LSD) to get close to what an ///M coupe will be doing with just new tires and an alignment.

Now a 335i is is definetly more comfortable and livable. However aside from the extra seats you really dont lose anything else when it comes to practicallity. Both my bro and i have fit $200 worth of groceries in the back, and i have been able to put my 70Lbs boxer (cover retracted !) and a weekends worth of cloths in the back of my coupe.

Then if your considering a car to keep, the ///M coupe is the clear choice, there are only 1,800 in N.A. and less than 4,500 worldwide. Quite rare and unique looking...

ANd no matter what i still find the ///M fun, and i have a 600bhp 997 Turbo in our garage and while different back to back, the ///M is still a riot!
Appreciate 0