View Single Post
      10-31-2008, 04:59 PM   #48
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I understand fully what I'm talking about (I'm an aero engineer finishing my masters), torque is nothing more than an applied moment on a body. If you're looking at wheel torque that's great, than you know what kind of force the wheels can put on to the road. What you're not considering here is the equation of motion for the vehicle. Since the 335i has more mass and less stiffness than the M coupe it's going to rock back under acceleration and and going to resist acceleration more. You're also failing to consider the affect of drag on the car. Just looking at wheel torque is great for 2 cars with the same shape and mass, but when you're comparing apples to oranges it doesn't work. So if you want to continue the whole idiot discussion please continue...
Sorry but I suggest you go back and look at what's going on here because you are WAY off base. We are talking about better methods to compare cars then simple HP figures, looking at wheel torque is the best method to analyze potential acceleration, are you happy now? I said potential.

And while your arguing idiotic semantics, I can and regularly do factor in weight, stiffness has little affect other then dampening the initial acceleration, once torsion takes hold it makes no difference.

Drag would be something to look at, but the published figures are rarely even close to actual and the variances between most BMWs are not big enough to make any real difference sub triple digits.

The simple point is, if you're going to compare the two cars without a super computer and a windtunnel, this is the best method.

Finally if you're training to be an engineer, why did I need to explain to you what catalytic converters are, how O2 sensors work and how headers affect a car?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=322197