vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Every day I deal with patients who are dumb as rocks. I know they'll be back in the hospital with their poor lifestyle choices. In the modern internet age there's no excuse to not spend 5 minutes doing a Google search on how to eat healthier.
When I was in the hospital about 10 years ago, they would not release me until I sat through multiple lectures from a nutritionist. It was apparently required by hospital policy. No salt, no cheese, no potted meats, chinese food is evil, only whole grains, etc. I have lived that life (if you can call it living) ever since.

We had a half-day employee wellness seminar where I work a few weeks ago. Start out with a healthy catered lunch, and then into all kinds of breakout sessions about various health/exercise topics for the rest of the afternoon.

The "healthy" catered lunch would have sent that nutritionist into a tizzy. Frozen turkey burgers and veggie burgers served on white hamburger rolls, teriyaki chicken (sodium bombs away!) with a ladle to slop extra sauce onto your plate, pasta salad, fruit salad, and oatmeal raisin cookies. The drink choices were water or sweetened iced tea. Most important omission is the complete lack of vegetables (either cooked or raw) and absolutely no green salads. Each item included a plaque about why it was a healthier choice, when in reality it was all feel-good substitutions that had just as many salt/sugar/carbs as the item it was replacing.

Long story short, one of my pet peeves is people who fall for "all natural" or "healthy" advertising without looking at the actual nutritional data to see *why* it is better (or worse!) for you.....