Thread: Coil-Over
View Single Post
      07-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #11
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

From a slightly edited email exchange with Donald Molenaar with InTrax.

Me:
"Do you consider the coil-over rear units to be superior to the split configuration? In other words, will I give up some capability by requiring the spilt system?"

Donald:
"The differences are:
1. Separate spring will be heavier due to extra leverage.
2. The separate spring is less easy to reach for adjustment, the coil over is easier to reach.
3. The separate spring we have in 2 spring rates, the coil over spring we have in many different spring rates
So no, not superior, [but] you win on weight, convenience and choice."

Valid points, but I don't see enough benefit to switch to the rear coil-over. I'm firmly, once again, in GuidoK's camp. "Platelets" = lol.

So, perhaps I'm doing just fine, bang for buck, with the Bilstein B6 system, and using the OEM rear springs. My car is exclusively driven on city streets and fast roads. No intention to lower the car....I can just about make it into my driveway now. I've read that the bump stops on the front B6 coil-overs should be shortened, and I could mess with the spring rates a bit, but at my level, I'd be just as likely to make things worse. BUT, if someone has a Goldilocks, street only, system upgrade, I'm all ears.
Appreciate 0