View Single Post
      07-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Sea View Post
The weight differential from the n52 to the S54 is 255lbs. And the "feel" is quite noticeable driving one then the other. Bit spendy tho, 14k? Mind you R&D, investment in molds and equipment probably easy to justify, for what may be a very limited market.
That 255lbs weigth differential is I think for the whole car?
So for that you're also counting (this is not a complete list):
- larger front and rear brakes
-dual back exhaust box (complete exhaust in itself is larger thus heavier)
-bigger differential, bigger CV joints
-oil cooling system

Looking at the quoted individual weights of blocks by BMW, I estimate that the difference in weight between engine blocks is about 50lbs, 60lbs tops.
BMW quotes that the s54 block weighs 122lbs, and an n52 or m54 block weighs about 77/75lbs (n52 block is virtually equally heavy, it's only part magnesium and is of split design in contrast to the m54). A billet block can be made a little bit lighter.

On the other hand, if you want to reduce an already stripped racecar another 60lbs without a billet block, it'll probably cost the same or more
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-11-2020 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0