Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What do you like about the sound? Stromung cans are very deep lots of bass, Eisenmann a bit less bass, Supersprint a bit higher pitch, RPI the highest. JVT are just cheap e-Bay headers, substitute those for Euro headers. Euro headers Euro cat will work with any set-up past secondary cats. Supersprint cans require it's own x-pipe IIRC and won't mate with stock x-pipe w/o work/adapters.

As already suggested, do one piece at a time. Cans are a basic piece, x-pipe adds more sound (louder too) and pops/burbles, headers even louder but more complicated given O2 relocate etc.

I've run:

RPI
Rogue Diablo
Eisenmann Sport + X-Pipe
Remus
KKS TI + X-Pipe + Headers

Eisennmann combo and KKS combo are IMO best sound and least drone, Stromung a close second. Drone is subjective, nevertheless RPI and Rogue were intolerable.

Rob's Strömung is FS here, it's a great place to start. https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492154

I like the throaty roar. I love the sound of the RPI, but ya don't want the drone.

Honestly if I could get it to sound like an F-Type, that's the dream. But I've never heard a Z4M that sounds anything close to that, even though they're both 6 cylinders. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic, so I'm sure that's a terrible comparison and wrong for so many reasons. But I love that sound, and want to get as close to that as possible with my Z. It's a powerful engine, it should sound like it...

Most of the exhausts I hear on YouTube sound pretty close to stock, where you hear the engine at the front of the car more than the exhaust at the back.

I guess after all your recommendations I'll leave the headers alone for now, and focus on the back end, one piece at a time. Stromung seems like a good starting point? Supersprint exhaust by itself seems to sound pretty close to stock, at least in the videos I've seen. Anyone know differently?
Appreciate 0