Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4fanatico View Post
I can assure you that the electric steering is just fine. Way to many reviewers make ridiculous comments about a cars performance when the truth is they will run out of driving skills long before they run out of car. These people talk as if the car does not meet their driving skill level. Gimme a break. Most Z4 owners will take their Z4's on local 20 MPH roads to Walmart or on a highway at 65 MPH. That's it. They will never push the car to its limits, hence the 'steering feedback' is inconsequential. Just drive the car and enjoy it for what it is. The basic 2.5 engine will be more than you will ever need.
I concur with the 2nd and 3rd post, but your comments are definitely off the mark. Steering feedback is never inconsequential. When the weather gets over 90 deg or so my '04 3.0 will not go straight down the road with out serious attention. It's a real drag continually correcting left to right and back again to stay between the white lines. It feels like there is a spring loaded detent forcing the steering off center. I will be adding a grease zerk to the steering column this spring before it gets hot. I understand it is a DIY project, if you have the patience for it. So don't let this niggling problem that occurs in only some of the early Z4's deter you from buying a Z4.
Of course you could always buy a Miata. Not nearly as refined, but mechanically almost bullet proof. More noisy, not nearly as good in the paint quality, uncomfortable for some body types, underpowered in the NA and NB series. The '06 and newer are nearly as quick as the older Z4's. Handling around corners between my Z4 and my previous Miata's is about the same. The Miata being lighter felt a bit more nimble to me. Anyway, I now have the Beemer and have no plans to ever get rid of it. So good luck in your hunt.
Appreciate 0