View Single Post
      04-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

Nice choice, the E85 Z4 is a great car. The 3.0 or the 3.0Si are both good cars. The maintenance on these cars can get expensive. They, all BMW's, use a special antifreeze. For oil use synthetic. Now to address your specific questions.
1) The issue with the pump is due to the drain holes getting plugged and the pump gets submerged so it eventually rusts and fails. If your drain holes are kept open that will minimize that problem.
2)To date I know of no major issues with the engine. Changing the oil can be a bit trying. You do need to get under the car to get to the drain plug. Mine has the M Sport suspension so it sits really low. The car has no jack in it as they put run flat tires on the car. The oil filter is on top so it's easy to change.
3)Trunk space? It's actually pretty good. I have disappeared for a week in it and the suitcase I had fit fine. If you get the hard top convertible the top does take a lot of the space. Mine is cloth.
4) Insurance cost isn't bad at all but I have multiple cars and well over 25.
5)If you get a car with an excess of 100k miles you might have to redo the suspension. Parts alone can be close to $1000. Can't tell you what total cost would be as I work on my own cars.
6) It's always better to keep a car indoors if possible. Mine had to sit outside for its first year and had no issues with leaks. But having a soft top I always worried when it hailed.
7) Can't answer that as I don't even have a cell phone.
8) I would try to buy the lowest milage you can afford. But more importantly find one with as complete maintenance records.
For the most part these cars are reliable as well as fun to drive. They have a cup holder on the edge of the dash that usually is broken. They can be fixed and aren't too hard to replace. The "glovebox" between the seats has issues with the button that holds it closed as it's plastic and can break. There is a wind deflector for between the seats to lessen the wind in the cabin with the top down and they are worth getting. The Z4 is a great car and there are people put over 300k miles on them without major issues.
Appreciate 0