View Single Post
      04-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #51
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
New to Heel/Toe

I've been driving stick my whole life with various sports/fast cars. Never raced, never found a need to heel-toe. I found this post VERY informative. I have read a few things on heel-toe and on a track, where every tenth of a second counts and speeds are much faster than on a street, I can see I need to start practicing this more often on the street. I have tried rev-matching and found it difficult. I test drove a 2014 370 Z, with auto rev-matching. I felt like it was like training wheels for stick shift driving and didn't like it. While doing 55 mph on the test drive, with a young salesman who did not know how to drive stick, I wound up third, dropped the clutch and slipped it into second. The dual clutch rev-matcher shot the tach up to near red-line. Kid looked at me as the motor was screaming, I was just like " don't worry, I'm not going to let the clutch out, I just wanted to see how this worked " I then turned it off.
I'm sticking to autocross for now. No shifting needed. I plan on getting to Sebring down the road. I'm loving my 2006 Z4MR. I see that THE HACK had a lot of great advice on a post named "Autocross with a Z4MR- tips". Many good ones on here as well.