View Single Post
      12-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #80
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Thanks everyone!

Quick protoboard of the circuit: Two pics 64mhz, one converts AEM Hz signal to Crank and two cam signals specifically matched to the N52, which then plugs into the Z4 DME (this fools the DME into thinking there is an engine running, which makes the tach work); the other pic micro is fooling the DBW pedal and throttlebody signals so the ECU thinks something is connected and doesn't go into limp mode (not that it matters, but once in limp mode, germans love to have the DME yell at all the other systems that they should also limp, and that is no bueno). I have the circuit schematic capture and layout, but there is more that will be needed before I have a real PCB made...

I was getting massive EMI on the signals, even after adding some decoupling caps - some investigation lead me to using non-resistive spark plugs. Went to BK7ES and scope showed it all cleared out.

Quick snapshot of the undercarriage - pretty much done. No leaks, clean and everything clears

Overview of engine bay, 95% done, all the wiring tucked in that small box near the firewall.

Still need to fab up a catch can, air filter box, and many more minor things, but the good news is IT DRIVES, and thanks to the quick AEM Infinity setup and tuning, it drives OEM like down to throttle tip in! Took it for a 100 mile trip and aside from the noticeable 2JZ sound and BOV flutter, you would think nothing had been done to the vehicle. Love it

I did have one very nagging issue: Had to replace the battery, which forced the Z4 into "Transportation Mode". Essentially, many of the systems stop working (heater/AC, for example). To fix this, had to download BMW DIS software package. I'm not very thrilled with German engineering. Took me hours and hours to figure out how to install this thing: Virtual machine, unix runtime, massively large installation, virtual networking/bridging and learning some unix commands??. Finally communicated with all the systems and disabled transportation mode. what a night mare. Germans.......

Won't be much updates here on out as other things are taking precedence. Supra needs some love. Aside from that, there is a new project on the horizon - it involves a 2JZ and it involves a "SWAP".

Last edited by dre99gsx; 07-31-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0