03-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #55
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I mean a base 991.2 starts at like $90k and easily hits $100k+ once you add basic options. The type of person that has that kind of money to drop on a car is likely a professional who is a bit older and expects a certain level of refinement and comfort.
I think the Porsche of today is simply different than the Porsche of yesterday. In years past, you had what, 2-3 different 911s to choose from. And even the most basic 911 was engaging. I'm not sure everyone liked that approach, but some I'm sure put up with it because it's a "Porsh". These days, with electronics making it fairly cheap and easy to tune cars as well as simply different technologies that are fairly cost-effective to use, the brand can make a car that is mostly everything to everyone. It allows Porsche to offer 6+ versions of the 911 that feel a little different than the one below it---and at the same time, charge a ton for the privilege.

I don't really like that approach, but it also leaves room for the Boxster/cayman to offer the driving experience that people expect from a Porsche sports car without having to spend dumb money on a GTS or higher level 911. From a brand perspective, it's a very tight rope they are walking.

Simply put, the days of the basic carrera being the core of the Porsche driving experience are long gone, which in some ways is a shame. Not that BMW hasn't started to do the same with the M3, however.
Appreciate 0