02-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #56
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Oh I'm a believer in aftermarket intakes, as my sig would suggest. However, they are predominately for increased sound and throttle response and perhaps a minuscule increase in power (greater airflow etc etc) but that claim hasn't really been proven either way.
Why hasn't that claim be proven? It would be simplicity itself for the likes of AFE and other aftermarket vendors to use any of the datalogging methods I've described above and they could then calibrate the results against those obtained on a static dyno with the car in OEM state in order to get the "yardstick" against which any differences in performance with their products could be seen. They don't even have to use any "dyno" runs offered by such dataloggers, instead they could simply record three parameters readily available from the ECU: 1.Engine rpm, 2.Airflow through the MAF and 3. Intake Air Temperature (IAT). If they really wanted to be scientific, they could then calculate Volumetric Efficiency at any sampling point from the recordings of those three PIDs which would prove the difference between OEM and their aftermarket intakes. Have you ever hooked your car up to a datalogger and examined the before and after figures for your AFE intake? If so, what are the results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
But just so I'm clear, your saying your intake ALONE will net you an additional 20ft lbs of TQ over stock?
Yes, in that ballpark. I did some more datalogging yesterday and I posted the results on the thread on this topic on the other Z4 forum. The datalogging confirmed my earlier results. I know these results are impressive, and I understand scepticism, but I'm doing something which is quite different to the typical aftermarket ram-air intakes and CAIs.
Appreciate 0