02-17-2013, 05:03 AM   #53
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Isn't that the same DashDyno from which you claim your Z4MC has 370 RWHP with no mods but a home-made scoop? I've been entertained reading your thread on the euro forum where your outlandish claims aren't being met with any resistance.
I am aware that those figures will attract very negative comments from some quarters, and I did think more than twice before I posted them, knowing that I would get flak and ridicule from the likes of you for publishing them. But hey, I don't make them up, I'm only reporting the information that my Z4MC's yields. Since you've been reading the thread on the Euro forum and you say that I am making "outlandish claims", why don't you make a posting in that thread explaining your opinion and I will happily discuss this with you on that forum?

The DashDyno is a datalogger (see: http://www.auterraweb.com/) which connects to the OBDII socket and it records any of the PIDs (Parameter Identities) which the vehicle's ECU will make available for the datalogger to read. Different vehicles yield a different selection of PIDs to dataloggers, and the Z4MC actually yields more PIDs than the Z3MC. It doesn't matter whether you connect a standalone datalogger such as the DashDyno, or any other datalogging device, such as the Dash Hawk or DashDaq, or a PC based datalogging application such as ScanGauge, or app for iPhone or Android; the information available for recording through the OBDII socket for each car will always be the same. These devices and apps are not toys: they are hi-tech solutions which I'm sure automotive engineers would have given their right arms to have had available to them in earlier times during the development of vehicles.

The information which the car's ECU will yield to any datalogger is exactly the same data that the ECU uses to operate the vehicle. Many of the datalogging devices and apps have the facility to compute dyno runs, as does the the DashDyno and I've used exactly the same car profile and protocol for all my dyno runs with my Z4MC. Nobody challenges the baseline recorded figures of the car in OEM condition, (which gives close to OEM spec figures) but the likes of you find it difficult to believe that it is possible to modify the OEM air-intake in such a way that it can utilise the ram-effect even better. I've got news for you, the Z4M's intake system is very good but it's not perfect. I've spent a lot of time examining and recording data with the OEM intake and with various mods so that I can understand how it can be improved using scientific principles which have been known for very many years. From my appliance of known science I have been able to increase the peak torque of my Z4MC by 7% and because the torque curve also tends to plateau rather than fall away, this translates into a considerably greater horsepower figure than you'd normally expect to see - it's basic maths.

The raw data produced by the Z4MC's ECU for airflow through the MAF at WOT shows that with my various mods I'm presently able to increase the peak airflow at 7900rpm from OEM by 8.8%. Since the ECU adjusts the fuelling to match the airflow through the MAF then an 8.8% increase in air ingestion with each cylinder fill with an increase in fuel to match must produce an increase in torque. Since horsepower is a measure of work done in unit time, then it's obvious that an increase in torque, which can be maintained through the rev range (helped considerably by the VANOS), will considerably increase the horsepower.

There's a lot more to it than your dismissive "home-made scoop".

My surprise is not with the figures, but at the fact that nobody else has done this before. If you want to continue with this please make your posting on the other forum.

Last edited by exdos; 02-17-2013 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0