View Single Post
      12-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
stephenkirsh
Rep
Drives: Z4M, E46 ZHP, E46 ZSP, NA MX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
The VANOS internal pressure is 1500+ psi, so yes, there is a good chance the sheared bolt is the cause of it, you may also have a failed o-ring there

Contact beisan and see if they can sell you just the oring and get a new bolt. You should be able to change the o-ring in situ. The issue will be taking a torque wrench there, this bolts are 10NM.

Also remove the solenoid pack (the electronics as you called) as there is a sealing plate, change it for new, it is cheap. This plate is sandwiched between the Valve body and the VANOS unit.

Also check the chain tensioner which has a crush washer that may have failed

Use this guide as reference:

http://beisansystems.com/procedures/..._procedure.htm

Finally, how many miles? These bolts rarely fail, has someone “fixed” your VANoS? How many miles?

Good luck! But it should be easy.

PS. Don't run the engine, and pls check oil level before if you must. Make sure there is oil in it
Ok, I'll pull the solenoid pack tonight.

The car was built and maintained by Edge Motorworks for the prior owner. Edge builds a ton of NASA-winning E36/E46 cars, so I'm quite surprised to find a bolt that's been severely over torqued. I don't have any mention of VANOS work in my records, but I'll contact them and see what they say.

The 25 Hours of Thunderhill is this week, so they're probably all out at that, anyway.
Appreciate 0