10-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #32
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
That must be an incredible build! A 1 series with the S65 is, to my mind, the way the last gen M3 should have been. Smaller, lighter, more nimble.

I see your actual experience bears out what we had thought the major issues would be: making all of the wiring and software and modules all get along happily. I think there's probably more in common with the 135 series modules (ABS, DSC, etc.) than the older E46 or Z4 platform, since those are contemporaneous model years and so on. If you had difficulty there, we probably could have multiplied that several times over. We figured we'd have to use all of the E90 modules, retrofit, or code or/around them. More of a software and hardware engineering project than a mechanical project the way we figured it.
yes, if you want all those things to work it is an insane undertaking.

My car runs an m3 ecu, m3 guage cluster and has m3 axels front and rear. The difficulty was wiring the m3 harness to the 135i body harness. That was probably the most insane thing of all. Mike Benvo of BPM Sport did all the coding. He is a genius and sorted out a ton of little fixes. everything works in my car like oem it is pretty insane.

If I did a z4 i would do a similar approach. m3 ecu, m3 cluster and fit the m3 diff, and rear axel if possible. Essentially make it a mini m3 like my car but use the shell of the z4. I have no idea how realistic that is.
Appreciate 0