10-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #31
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
bummer this isnt happening. I just put an s65 into a bmw 1 series here in CA and it is CA Legal with the street X pipe.

a z4 s65 would be an amazing car and a total blast to drive. I will say from my experience that the real difficulties in swaps lays in wiring and keeping all of the oem details.
That must be an incredible build! A 1 series with the S65 is, to my mind, the way the last gen M3 should have been. Smaller, lighter, more nimble.

I see your actual experience bears out what we had thought the major issues would be: making all of the wiring and software and modules all get along happily. I think there's probably more in common with the 135 series modules (ABS, DSC, etc.) than the older E46 or Z4 platform, since those are contemporaneous model years and so on. If you had difficulty there, we probably could have multiplied that several times over. We figured we'd have to use all of the E90 modules, retrofit, or code or/around them. More of a software and hardware engineering project than a mechanical project the way we figured it.
Appreciate 0