Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Whoa!

Thanks. Hitting up seller now. Needs to be newer than my car (08) to pass smog. Fingers crossed. (If you get caught running anything different it's an impound and destroy order. Since this won't be stealth, can't risk it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
What does this mean?

I truly do not understand. Must be a California thing...
I'm not sure about the laws in other states, but you can't just drop any old engine into any old car here. There are specific rules. The engine must be the same as stock or newer. So, you can replace an S54 with an S65, an S50 with an generation IV LS3, and so on. But you can't just do that and call it a day. Since it's a non-standard engine the DMV must review the installation via a "referee" who will make sure: all intake, exhaust, cats, air pump, EGR, ECU, everything are exactly the same as the stock install of the motor being used. Tailpipe emissions, actual exhaust levels are not taken into account directly (you still have to pass), but passing without a referee certification is a big risk.

Fail to do that and get sign-off and you risk have the car impounded and destroyed--no reprieve no discussion crush and destroy. So, if an officer were to pull you over, and have reason to look under the hood, and noted the non-standard motor, you might lose a lot. Obviously the risk is greater with a Chevy motor in a BMW (a heavy LS rumble in mid 90s M3 can give that away easily), but it's a risk.

Unlikely to happen buy I know of one case where it did. The "plus", if there is one, is that unlike other mods such as a supercharger you can quite easily pass smog tests (ODBII or tailpipe) and have a totally legal car without having to revert to stock to pass emissions checks every 2 years.

Just one of the many joys of living in this eco-paradise.
Appreciate 0