Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
EVO magazine recently wrote what I've been hearing on the net for some time - the S65 won't fit in the new Z4. They speculate that the next M3 engine (turbo inline-6) will fit, but that won't show until 2013.
I suspect that they are quoting the original rumors, probably started by BMW marketing. Manufacturers often (if not invariably...) state that some desired feature won't fit on their new model in order to stimulate current demand of their limited offering and bring out those who would otherwise wait for the better engine (or whatever) to be introduced.

I remember some years ago when Ford was promoting their supercharged V6 as their performance option engine stated that the V8 wouldn't fit in their new T-bird - never mind that the V6 is the same width as the V8 from which it was derived and the T-bird was far from being a short-nosed car. And, yes, the V8 was introduced a year or two later. It's much the same as when BMW stated that there would be no need for an M version of the Z4 when it was a new model.

The main question here is whether there is enough room between the strut towers to fit the V8, and is that dimension significantly less on the new Z4 than it is on the E90? Most likely things will get back to marketing demand and whether it makes more sense to go with the outgoing V8 or a hopped up TT6 for their next Z4M. And, given that they're bringing out M SAV's, I would find it hard to buy any claims that there won't be a new Z4M
Appreciate 0