View Single Post
      02-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Do you think that they have a second path? In these parts back in the day, Time Warner's backbone would swamp their alternate paths when their primary path had issues.

Mediacom's corporate HQ is located a few towns away from me, despite not having a single franchise agreement anywhere in the region. I see them advertising for network engineering jobs locally on occasion, and strangely I do not know anyone who works for them.....
That's why it would be nice to see their routing topology. If they don't have a secondary path, then that's another fail for an ISP this large. Your point is valid about having traffic being overwhelmed when all traffic is routed to the alternate path. But again, that would have triggered performance alerts at their NOC which would not require 3 days to figure out. In actuality, there is no real primary and secondary path at this level. It's all based on routing/performance metrics being shared by BGP peering with other member routers. What may be the preferred path one day may not be the next day depending on what is happening on that circuit.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615467.50