06-24-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiCC View Post
Thank you! Yes I had a vision and knew the car needed a LSD pronto! Woops forgot to mention that the muffler and resonator are both Magnaflow, post edited. I decided on the merge early after reading that E91 n52 exhaust thread saying that Bimmerworlds set up is better flowing at higher rpm's with the y merge earlier. Realistically I believe that in racing that taking a corner or turn never puts you under 10mph where torque is generally needed at lower rpms / speeds. Unless they took the wrong line and or braked too much. For street I went with the 2.5" to keep a little bit of backpressure vs the 3". I havent noticed any big dips in backpressure with this catback system so I believe I have the best of both worlds. I was thinking of going back to the muffler exhaust shop in the future to get some flanges put on before the back resonator, and have him build another pipe with dual tips exitsand flange to swap whenever I wanted it much louder. Thanks again for your knowledge 3002 tii !
Yeah, that's not correct.
The Bimmerworld setup is just a lazy/haphazardly fabricated exhaust with no regards to street-ability. The "Y" merger is too close to the exhaust manifold which kills low end torque - however, that's not too big of a deal at high RPM.

In regards to the exhaust outlet size - you cannot go "too large" after the exhaust merger. That means you could have (space permitting) gone with 5" exhaust if you wanted to, and would have lost ZERO power. On the flip side, with exhaust piping too small, you run the risk of actually not gaining as much power as you otherwise could have due to added back pressure.

That's not to say this is a bad exhaust or you shouldn't (or aren't) happy with it, it's just some of the things you did aren't what I would have recommended if you had spoken to me.

Otherwise, I'm just here to see where this build goes, so carry on.

Last edited by Taskmaster; 06-24-2016 at 02:42 AM..
Appreciate 0