gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
It only flows better than stock at 80psi if it's getting enough power . Centrifugal pumps take a ton of juice apparently a stock system only provides 1/4-1/2 at best . The recommended Aeromotive wiring harness is a 30amp switch !!! Running them under power can make them fail early as well , which is why I was ok until recently . If ESS , AA, and VF say the regular pump is ok then I'm going back to it . Remember I was chasing the wrong pulley situation when I replaced mine . ( should have just changed my filter ) my two cents . Between my flywheel / clutch "upgrade " and this my new moto is if it ain't broke don't fix it lol . The problem of only improving one point of a stock system is the rest doesn't work together well . If you put in a lower bar fuel pressure gauge to make an aftermarket pump happy then you have to adjust the tune . It's a slippery slope .
My two cents
George
wish I didn't read your initial post about how the aeromotive pump really increased your top end pulls

My initial pump started going bad after 3-4 months, but you've probably put yours through a lot more wear and tear. Checking my air fuel ratios is probably my next step. Maybe a code reader can tell me about how the pump is performing too.

What about E46 M3s that use this in their HPF turbo setups, I didn't see them upgrading wiring in their install video. Is our car that different?
It did great at first compared to my old pump with 50 track days and 60,000 miles on it . The Aeromotive does need way more power than our cars put out to the stock pump to have good flow at high pressures . The stock pump is traditional which uses a lot less power than a centrifugal under high load . I'm pretty sure the turbo guys were using a 3 bar regulator ( our stock is 5 bar/72psi ) which makes things a ton easier on the pump , but like I said you have to tune for that . When you have a pro efi ECU you have a lot of options . I chose to ignore the advice of the manufacturer as well but it was a bad idea listening to random E46 m3 posts saying its fine not to wire it properly . Bottom line both our pumps died really early , and I don't think that's a coincidence . Mines not dead per say , but just can't handle fueling once I reach 7 psi of boost . You will not have any fuel pressure codes as long as it's making 72 psi ( normal ) , unfortunately at peak boost we need 80 psi . Just another lesson , learn from it and move on . Looking at my dyno , I'm really pleased with the curve , I mean hell it made 430whp at 7000 rpm before the fueling issue kicked in . I should be a good 450-460whp with that sorted . I'm just glad I didn't have to learn this lesson with a blown motor .
George

Last edited by gmd2003; 02-14-2014 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0