View Single Post
      10-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
kk7ds
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
Congrats on the new ride and welcome!

I have an '08 3.0SI with Nav and DSP. I'm not familiar with the factory iPod interface but I know about GROM.

I have my GROM unit installed as a "CD changer" in the trunk. You'll need to purchase the BT adapter in addition to the base unit. The base unit will allow you connect an iPhone/iPod/Android phone via USB. I have mine wired through the center storage with a Lightning/micro-USB cable. I also purchased a DSP adapter but it turns out I didn't need it. There was no hassle returning it.

There is no coding necessary to make it work. It's plug and play. You switch it to CD changer mode and start playing your music. Music functionality--including bluetooth--works with stereo and steering wheel controls.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks a lot for those details! The thing that I find really strange is that the existing iPod interface seems to work in the same way (I select CDC and see a track number) but I never hear the Audio. Since I've tested the audio output of that thing, I'm puzzled about why I don't hear my audio.

However, knowing that you have a GROM and it works properly gives me hope that it's something more mundane and less obscure. I have yet to pull the factory radio to check the connections on the back, so maybe something is loose or unplugged and it's as simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post

Random thoughts about GROM and other things:
  • These days with the widespread use of wireless tech, GROM units should come integrated with bluetooth (or at least have the adapters included at no extra cost).
  • Music tags don't scroll across the screen. It only displays the first 10ish characters of text.
  • The USB connection only trickle charges. Best to keep a cigarette lighter charger around when you need to run battery-draining tasks.
  • Since you don't have a Nav, have you considered an aftermarket Apple Carplay/Android Auto single-DIN unit? I know you mentioned you only want BT support, but thought I'd throw out that idea just in case.
Yeah, I've heard about the 10-character limit, which is pretty silly, but not the end of the world.

My wife and I are pretty fond of having things look factory stock, so unless there's a problem or we _have_ to replace something, I'd rather it be as integrated as possible. I've done my fair share of aftermarket car audio upgrades and these days I appreciate the simplicity and stock look. I guess I'm getting old

Again, thanks a lot for confirming that this should work. I'll probably pull the radio to check connections and order myself a GROM as that's the obvious end goal.
Appreciate 0