10-28-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk7ds View Post
  1. Do I need something like a GROM with the DSP adapter because of the coax?
  2. The GROM site makes it sound like some coding to enable the CDC is required to "the audio part work", but since I can select CDC on the head unit I assume this is already done...right?

What we really want is just to be able to do bluetooth music from a phone in the car to the factory stereo. We don't need any more iPod integration or really anything too fancy. Any other suggestions (knowing we have the fancy stereo and non-nav) would be appreciated.
Congrats on the new ride and welcome!

I have an '08 3.0SI with Nav and DSP. I'm not familiar with the factory iPod interface but I know about GROM.

I have my GROM unit installed as a "CD changer" in the trunk. You'll need to purchase the BT adapter in addition to the base unit. The base unit will allow you connect an iPhone/iPod/Android phone via USB. I have mine wired through the center storage with a Lightning/micro-USB cable. I also purchased a DSP adapter but it turns out I didn't need it. There was no hassle returning it.

There is no coding necessary to make it work. It's plug and play. You switch it to CD changer mode and start playing your music. Music functionality--including bluetooth--works with stereo and steering wheel controls.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Random thoughts about GROM and other things:
  • These days with the widespread use of wireless tech, GROM units should come integrated with bluetooth (or at least have the adapters included at no extra cost).
  • Music tags don't scroll across the screen. It only displays the first 10ish characters of text.
  • The USB connection only trickle charges. Best to keep a cigarette lighter charger around when you need to run battery-draining tasks.
  • Since you don't have a Nav, have you considered an aftermarket Apple Carplay/Android Auto single-DIN unit? I know you mentioned you only want BT support, but thought I'd throw out that idea just in case.