06-30-2018, 01:56 AM   #6
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Finally got the vent out. The foam that seals the connection at the back was dry rotted and basically crumbled away in my hands. Luckily I had some thin window sealing foam with adhesive on one side that I replaced the disintegrated foam with.

I removed the CD player. Took off the top cover and carefully cleaned the laser with a Q-tip and alcohol. Then I blew out the insides with some compressed air. Put it all back together and it's working for now. I think my loading mechanism is the problem though. One thing I noticed is that if you don't load and unload a CD regularly, the mechanism, when you try to unload a CD, will eject it about 2/3 of the way, they pull the CD back into the player. I have to grab the CD as it's coming out and pull it the rest of the way or it reloads.

I wish I knew of someone that sold re-furbished units with a core charge so you could send your unit back for a core refund and not be without a unit during repair. Looks like search time.
Glad you were able to take care of that!

You know what else is breaking down on mine? My DVD GPS computer. Some people have been able to refurbish that themselves by salvaging parts from used units. You could technically try that with the CD player, find a used unit on eBay or something. But repairing this kind of equipment is something I haven't attempted yet. Kind of hard without a garage. hehe