09-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #28
cjb762
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I said WHEN I was in grade school meaning the time period. Not at my school.

They are all junk science because they are consistently proven wrong, objectively. I simply wait for the time to pass to prove them incorrect.

A better question is this: You are the person bandying about the science. Would you bet your life on them being correct about the estimate?
I think you are confusing actual junk science (e.g. tobacco companies paying labs to produce results that show smoking is good for you), with the fact that real science is constantly questioning and testing it's understanding of the world, which sometimes leads to a very different understanding based on newly discovered evidence.

So, for example, I think it is highly likely that scientists' understanding of the the world's fossil resources is significantly more refined and accurate than it was when you were in grade school - and therefore more likely to be correct.

As for betting my life, we really all bet our lives every day on scientific understandings in some ways. When you get on a plane, when you take medicine, when you submit yourself to a surgical procedure, etc. If I had to bet my life though, I would bet it on estimates grounded in scientific knowledge, rather than opinions grounded in ignorance, or superstition. (that is not a personal comment on anything you are saying)

I do believe that it is beyond question that fossil fuels are a finite resource, and that one day - if their use continues as it is - they will be gone, or at least reduced to a point that they aren't viable as an energy source. I also believe that kicking the can down the road with regard to developing new energy sources is not a rational thing to do.