10-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #90
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
It really comes down to how one defines "win" or "victory".

If winning means the decimation of Taiwan as we know it, then I have no doubt in my mind that the PLA can achieve that.

However, logic dictates that a military & political "win" for Beijing would mean being able to invade Taiwan for the purposes of incorporating Taiwan into the PRC.
To that end, victory is a lot more difficult.
A full-scale combat at the current stage would still leave P.R. China with a broken nose and some knocked out teeth.

If victory means that Beijing and the PLA expects to march into Taipei and capture the Presidential Building after eliminating a few divisions of resistance and with little-to-no collateral damage (i.e., civilians, infrastructure, shared historical heritage such as the relics of the Palace Museum), then they are in for a tough one.
The article does mention that the Taiwanese can slow down and demoralize the attacking forces making it very painful for the Chinese army. Most of the men in Taiwan have some military training because of mandatory draft. Those can be called in as armed reservists. That and the Chinese will lack any element of surprise because any build up that large would not be able to be hidden.

One problem the article does mention is that the Taiwanese military is rather demoralized because of the knowledge they are facing a superior force.