View Single Post
      01-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
If I couldn't charge overnight where I live, I would never own an EV. But if you do have that ability, it makes an EV extremely convenient for most cases since you never have to go to a gas station.

For longer trips, public fast charging is the only viable option. There is no way you will want to wait 6-8 hours to charge at a friend's house or anywhere else. This is where I am really not so sure with the i4. The Tesla Supercharger network is great, or at least good. For that reason, I don't get range anxiety with Tesla. I know the worst case is that I will be delayed for an hour to charge. I'm not sure that the charging network for non-Tesla EV's is good enough at this point. The i4 range is very adequate, but the lack of public charging stations and the complexity of finding them makes trip planning that much more difficult. I did a quick search in my area and I can find public charging stations.. with only 3 available fast chargers. Will one of them be open when I get there? I have no idea.
The i4 has an integrated trip planner that will help identify charging stations and optimize your trip for charging.

Or at least that what is claimed.