06-20-2019, 01:42 AM   #7
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeka1 View Post
Re Belts - If you look at how Vanne has them mounted, this might work for you. I believe he is using eye bolts that are mounted in the rear bulk head. I also used a similar setup in my Toyota MR2. Keep in mind that most clubs will also require you to use a HANS device if you have a 4+ point harness; so bake that into your cost.
I sent Vanne a note - thanks for the heads up. Concerned about safety of that mount point, but that does seem OK.

Noted re: Hans, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeka1 View Post
With regards to your brakes: Based on your last post, it seems like your using Hawk HPS street/track pads. Your description sounds like you have serious fade and are probably boiling your fluid. Definitely swap in a true track pad for your track days (like Hawk DTC60) and flush with any 600+ DOT4 Race Fluid and you should be good to go.
I didn't use the Hawk HPS 5 on the track based on advice here and from others. I went with Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear. I ate through a set of fronts in 2 days and a set of rears in 4 days. I think the rears were mostly burned out by DSC, so I will switch that off - by end of day 1 I should have switched it off, I was just being (too) conservative.

I put in Castrol SRF fluid. I bled the brakes a couple of times at the track. The mechanic at the shop says the brakes were not bedded in properly and, as a result, this was causing the electronic braking system (??) to modulate the braking pressure. At least I think this is what he said, it kinda sounded odd to me, but he's a very experienced mechanic and has been spot on with other things, so - if that sounds weird - this is likely my lack of understanding of his explanation.

In my view the brakes on the Z4M are the most inadequate aspect of the car. I plan to change out the front brake system, probably to an AP Racing PRO 5000 R based kit. Engine great, handling great, transmission ok, brakes are for a road car imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Problem is even if you could retrofit a 4/6 point with proper harness bar, a lot of clubs still won’t let you run without a roll bar. And on a roadster that’s really tough...
The ones I currently care about do allow it. Perhaps in the future a roll bar is required, but that starts to seem silly on a daily driver roadster given that, as I understand it, you give up the convertible.

I made another lil video of me and my daughter out for a rip - slower lap times on purpose, but lots of fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn3UeSqd5Gs

Cheers!
Eamonn
Appreciate 0