Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
Discuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
A great way to end the season. I was pretty gutted to see Ferrari lose, but if it had to go to another team, then Red Bull deserve it. Their car was hands down the quickest of the lot, as we saw yet again here at Abu Dhabi.

E90Slam, I kind of agree with you. While a WDC winner is a winner, I DO think some people are more deserving than others. Example: Jacques Villeneuve in '97. How many people would say that Villeneuve is a worthy grand prix winner? Does he deserve to be placed among the likes of title winners from his generation (Schumacher, Hakkinen, Senna)? Is a Champion with a dominating car just as worthy as someone who wins a championship with an inferior car?

Either way, Vettel deserved this title. He was quicker than Mark Webber most of the season, and he had the quickest car. If it were not for some awful luck, this season would have been over by Brazil or earlier. He still has some very rough edges, like overtaking abilities, but this just illustrates how talented he is at such a young age. We could very well be witnessing another Schumacher era in the works, with Christian Horner and Adrian Newey playing the roles of Jon Todt and Ross Brawn, respectively.

Alonso did not lose gracefully (let's face it, he's not the best when it comes to public relations), but that shouldn't put down his accomplishments. Germany regardless, he drove the wheels off that Ferrari throughout this season, and put in some shockingly strong performances; Singapore and Italy in particular come to my mind. In his first season at Ferrari, he managed to get them oh-so-close to a title. I can't wait to see what he brings in '11.

I also disagree regarding Hamilton. He managed to put in some absolutely brilliant races, yet displayed an uncanny propensity for errors towards the end of the season. Think of Spa, where in treacherous conditions he put in a masterful race win. I think on sheer pace and talent, he's at the top of the competition. He just needs to learn to stop making mistakes!

Button was better than I expected, but I had low expectations for him in the first place. Hamilton ultimately outdid Button, and I think we will increasingly see him in the '2nd driver role'. Massa was hugely disappointing, and I wonder what Ferrari will choose to do at this stage. I wonder if he may be removed in 2011, given his lack of pace.

Finally, Schumacher - I think it's extremely harsh to come down on him so negatively. He's 41 - who really thought he was still at the top of his game? To still be kind of competitive at that age is hugely impressive, in my books, and only speaks of how talented he once was. As for 'being outdone by a rookie', Rosberg is hardly a Rookie? He has been in F1 for quite a while now, and would be considered a fairly experienced driver at this stage.

Anywho, great season guys. It was fun watching and commenting with all of you. A bit sad for my poor Tifosi, but a big round of applause for Vettel and Red Bull. It's good to see someone other than McLaren and Ferrari becoming a routine challenger, it will only make next season even more exciting. Cheers
Appreciate 0