05-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #726
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
buying new rolex you tend to take a hit on value unless you get one of the sought after models (116710 BLNR, Ceramic Daytonas, 116610LV, etc.)

but just buying your standard sub or datejust or even the base stainless daytona, youll end up losing. Granted not as much as some things would depreciate, but still will come out in the negative.

Its why I recommend buying those standard models from the used market. I have yet to lose money on a used watch purchase. Especially if you only buy the good deals.
You are wrong. Buy any sport ss Rolex and you won't loose value today unless it's a Milguass or any Explorer.
Subs are holding value, the LVc is selling higher than MSRP and Daytona Ceramics are selling second hand on an average of $19k, that's six over retail. There's no such thing as a base Daytona anymore. But even trying to buy an excellent condition Daytona with steel bezel will set you back $13-15k on a used watch, still over retail.

Bottom line if you buy your ss sports Rolex at MSRP, you will at worst break even. Any other model you'd take a $1-2k hit which isn't bad at all. My buddy just sold his two year old Planet Ocean 8500 and could only trade it at the highest amount of $1800. Breitlings, Omega, and Blancpain, etc.. will take a huge hit on resale. The only strong value holders are Patek and Rolex and a few APs.

In the end buy what you really like and plan to keep and you won't have any worries.
Appreciate 2
ny325895.00
SaMaster144430.50