01-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
Totally agree with you. Although for me it's always been about ever owning an old school N/A I6 (I would add a V10 if I had the funds though!)

People's first reaction is always: my *insert car name* is faster than yours!

Who cares? Like you said, this is not about having the fastest car out there setting Nürburgring laptimes. It's all about the experience of driving an old school M car, which you know will never come back.
This is an excellent point and a place I've been coming to for a long time. Even if you buy the current fastest car around the ring for bragging rights or your ego next month it won't be the fastest anymore. It's getting almost comical what's happening to performance. When I was a kid, 250HP was a big deal, now it's 500HP or nothing.

I like to drive, in fact I love to drive. I have no interest in a flappy paddle car, their primary function is to be quick, which is all good, but I think the real joy comes from shifting your own gears, that the skill and ability part. You don't need to have the fastest car to have a blast driving. I'm going to suggest that most of the folks driving these blisteringly fast cars can't drive all that well, they can afford the payments is all. These cars can get you into trouble really quickly even with all the nanny stuff on board.

I recently bought a 993, six speed. What a treat to drive, it's fast enough to let me really enjoy and as a friend of mine often says about his car is that it's more car than I am driver. Sure, a new GT2 would be great, but who are you competing against at that point.....just take your car out on the twisties and enjoy.

Peace
Appreciate 2
Foggins1334.50
tetsuo1111227.00