View Single Post
      07-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #149
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

UPDATE:

Something finally gave.

- now 161 20-25min track sessions (about 54hrs of 'racing')
- 9300 miles on the setup
- 5 years going...

At Pocono raceway, you know it has those long tri-oval sections where you can go wide open on the banked turns? Well, apparently the stock 6-spd transmission decided enough was enough, and I grenaded it while somehow decelerating into the North coarse infield. It pulled hard in 5th, slammed the brakes, car got jolted from the transition to the infield, I downshifted to 4th, took the apex and hit the gas, nothing but a box of marbles at that point.

The transmission seemed to be stout enough for 500wheel torque all these years, but I probably reached the limit of power.
I suspect I overheated the fluid - this was my 5th session of the day, 20 min on, 40 min off. Fluid was 3 events old Motul 300 75w90. I'm also not sure if the high sustained G-forces from the tri-oval banking may have starved the trans of oil? No idea if this is even an issue but who knows.

I can officially say that the only main mechanical component left that still hasn't failed is.... drum roll: the 2JZ

I'm sure I'll eat that statement next time out but what a workhorse.

The bright side is I have another transmission ready to swap in, but this time I need to invest in a trans cooler and figure out how to mount it.

I also ran 0.57sec laps that day, fastest I've ever been on this course, and what a rush!
3GFX722.50