View Single Post
      05-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
capt.pancakes
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5si

So a small update on this interesting situation.
The HVAC actuator drive that I had found behind the glove box looks brand new (had me very disappointed when I found that, because that means someone tried to do this fix already). I removed it, and while holding the drive turned the A/C on and off, and I see the drive is spinning and appears to be functioning correctly. So disappointed I reinstalled it, then decided I’d go ahead and test it again just to see if I could figure anything else out… but low and behold now there’s an obvious “whirring” sound from down there when I turn on the A/C and adjust the direction of the air (defrost, feet, or face).

Now the A/C still isn’t working, but I can now change the direction of the air (when I turn the dial to feet, the air blows to my feet, when I turn the dial to face, the air blows in my face). So that tells me that this actuator wasn’t installed correctly when it was replaced. So… a small victory, one small aspect of the A/C is working now - but I still can’t control the temperature!

I’m using a Russian hosted TIS that is being translated to English using Google Translate, and that is a big reason why I’m sorta not sure because it called the part I found “Air Conditioning Air Blend Actuator” but cross-referencing the part number I found on the actual unit it looks like in actual English it’s the “Actuator drive for central kinematics” which sounds like a fancy name for “controls the direction of the air flow”...

So that's an update haha.
Appreciate 0