View Single Post
      04-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
capt.pancakes
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5si

A/C misbehaving!

Alright - I feel like I've been posting a lot, but for what it's worth, every question I've posted you guys have helped me with - so don't blame me! haha

So as I mentioned in a previous post the A/C is not working. When I purchased the car it had a second compressor in the trunk and the previous owner genuinely just shrugged his shoulders when I asked what was wrong with the A/C. He said that the new compressor should fix it all up, but he just never got around to it (Now we've all heard this line a dozen times).

I took it to the only shop in my area that had any real confidence with working on a BMW and they kept it for a day and a half investigating and here's what they came back with:
The doors in the HVAC plenum are broken.

Now my elementary understanding of HVAC (read: wikipedia/googling) tells me that these plenum doors are what control the flow of the air - that the air always flows over the A/C evaporator, but this door is what controls how much of it mixes with air from the heater core. It sounds like my door is broken/stuck and all of the air is mixing with the heater core because the air is nice and warm.

They went on to tell me that the A/C compressor is working, the clutch is engaging and that it is chilling the air, and that the system is charged (they topped off with 1 unit of Freon but the mechanic said that they tested with their dye and found no leaks).

They told me that they could fix the plenum issue for $3500 and honestly that seems excessive, right? Does anyone here have any experience with the HVAC system or at least have a direction they can point me? I will continue my googling, but wanted to see what y'all thought while I was at it!
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50