07-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
True story. The Glen is my favorite track and where I have most of my experience. I think I'm coming up on 30 days, actually!

One thing about gears up there. As you get faster through The Esses, you will need to shift to 5th as you approach the Bus Stop's braking zone. But unlike some, I find a shifting to 4th is ideal for the Bus Stop, Outer Loop combination. Going down to 3rd makes the car a bit skittish and you have to be very smooth with your throttle or you'll upset the balance and swap ends in the Outer Loop.

I ride 4th all the way to the Toe where I go to 3rd. Short shift it into 4th AFTER the car settles/crests the hill and stay in 4th all the way around. Occasionally, I'll jump down to 3rd for Turn 11 if I want to get around someone in the front straight.

I'll be up there in September. You going again?
I think the one thing that's great to learn is that your limits increase as your driving time increases. What works for your first 4-6 track events, will seem like nothing by your 20-30th. As you exit the previous corner quicker, you now enter the next corner quicker and what was once fine, no longer is. That's one of the things that make track driving such a blast, pushing the limits and then relearning them again and again.